[Oberlist] UK* call: [MZ] VOICES OF THE SEA - ARTISTS COMMISSIONS

ober at emdash.org ober at emdash.org
Thu Jun 30 04:24:59 CEST 2011

Subject: [MZ] CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
From:    "LMC / LCCA" <makslaszinas at lcca.lv>
Date:    Wed, June 29, 2011 3:50 pm
To:      ober at emdash.org

  VOICES OF THE SEA - ARTISTS COMMISSIONS
 CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
 DEADLINE: 11 JULY 2011 Lighthouse are delighted to be part of a group of
arts organizations who are calling for expressions of interest for two
major new contemporary art commissions. Voices of the Sea is a unique
commissioning opportunity created by a partnership of Brighton & Hove
based arts organisations in the UK: Fabrica, Blast Theory, Brighton
Festival, Lighthouse, Photoworks, the University of Brighton and Musee de
Beaux Arts Calais in France. We seek to commission two artists, each with
a strong internationally recognised track record, to create two major new
works, responding to the coastal context and maritime heritage of South
East England. The commissions are inspired by The Boat Project by Lone
Twin, beginning its maiden voyage in 2012 and visiting Brighton as part
of Brighton Festival. The commissions are part of RELAY, a programme by
Turning Point South East (a network of visual arts organizations). Like
The Boat Project, RELAY is connected to the Cultural Olympiad 2012.
  DOWNLOAD THE BRIEF HERE:
 http:/www.lighthouse.org.uk/forms/voices_of_the_sea_artists_brief.pdf TWO
COMMISSIONS

 A gallery-based commission
 Exhibited at Fabrica, Brighton in April-May 2012 For Voices of the Sea,
the commissioning partnership is seeking expressions of interest from
visual artists, who have an international profile, who wish to create a
new work which will be exhibited at Brighton's leading contemporary art
gallery, Fabrica.
 It is also anticipated that the work will be exhibited at Musee de Beaux
Arts Calais in late 2012. Fabrica is based in a former Regency church in
the heart of Brighton. It commissions new works, and re-frames existing
contemporary visual art installations in relation to the building. Recent
exhibitions have featured artists such as Janet Cardiff, Frederic Guerts,
Martin Parr, Brian Eno and Anish Kapoor. Expressions of interest for
Voices of the Sea should illustrate a clear connection to the thematic
concept set out in the briefing document.  Expressions of interest should
be strongly visual in nature, but should also demonstrate how the artist
utilises digital technologies within their practice. We are particularly
interested in artists who work with photography, moving image and/or
digital and interactive media. DOWNLOAD THE BRIEF HERE:
 http:/www.lighthouse.org.uk/forms/voices_of_the_sea_artists_brief.pdf
Sea of Voices
 A site-specific outdoor work / or mobile media work in May 2012  For Sea
of Voices, the partnership is seeking expressions of interest from
artists who wish to create a site-specific work, which will link the
exhibition at Fabrica with The Boat Project. It is envisaged that Sea of
Voices will act as a "conceptual mooring line", between Fabrica
on Ship Street, and the Brighton Marina, where The Boat Project will be
docked, during it’s visit to Brighton. We are seeking to commission
a work which creatively signposts the route between the two locations.
It may take the form of a sound-walk, it may take the form of a mobile or
pervasive media project, or it may exist in another form, as defined by
the artist. Expressions of interest should illustrate a clear connection
to the thematic concept set out in the briefing document.  We welcome
proposals from artists who work with digital and interactive media,
pervasive gaming, locative media and mobile applications.  We are equally
interested in artists who have strong site-specific, or location-based
practices, who may wish to use other media to develop an outdoor artwork.
As part of the educational and participative activities which will
complement the commissions, we will be collecting comments and stories
about Brighton and its coastal context. This audio material may be used
as a resource for the Sea of Voices. As such, we also welcome proposals
from artists who work with sound as a medium. DOWNLOAD THE BRIEF HERE:
 http:/www.lighthouse.org.uk/forms/voices_of_the_sea_artists_brief.pdf

http://oberliht.com