[Oberlist] US* call: DREAM + ACT (film, videos, activism and information on immigration)

ober at emdash.org ober at emdash.org
Sun Mar 27 12:11:59 CEST 2011

REMINDER!

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:1408178.6984611128/rid:875fbeb22ec256d64597d0ad27b99580

Open Call by

Freewaves, Self Help Graphics & Art, The East LA Society of Film and Arts
(TELA SOFA) and LA CAUSA

DREAM + ACT
Film, videos, activism and information on immigration

On April 30 and May 1, Freewaves, Self Help Graphics & Art, TELA SOFA and
LA CAUSA are collaborating to present Dream + Act, a selection of visual
art and activism focused on immigration as it relates to communities in
Los Angeles and beyond. Through film, video and video installations, Dream
+ Act is an opportunity to express your vision and viewpoint on the
realities of immigration and how it affects you. We aim to build a
community of dialogue and bridge the cultural communities in Los Angeles
and countries around the globe.
Submission Deadline:  April 1, 2011

In addition to providing encouragement for film and video makers and
activists, this event seeks to promote deeper understanding of our diverse
city by presenting a wide array of perspectives on the complex issue of
immigration. The community will be able to interact with the filmmakers to
further explore the issues addressed.

DREAM :: We believe art has the power to inspire, create new possibilities
and broaden our perspectives so we can see our community through a
different lens.

ACT :: Not content to dream only, together we aim to provoke thought and
inspire solutions to the challenge of immigration in this country—a
challenge shared by people throughout the world.

Share with us your experiences, perspectives and opinions through the
media arts by submitting your videos and films.

Work by all ages and genres considered.

To submit your work, send a URL or a DVD to:
TELA SOFA
PO Box 226738
East Los Angeles, CA 90022
info at telasofa.org

OR submit your film at the following link:
https://www.withoutabox.com/03film/03t_fin/03t_fin_fest_01over.php?festival_id=7471
(Using withoutabox qualifies you for IMDB.com)

Application materials will not be returned.

IMPORTANT DATES:

Due date:  4/1/11
Notice of Acceptance:  4/15/11
Screening dates: Saturday, April 30 and Sunday, May 1, 2011 (May Day!)

For Dream + Act, TELA SOFA is collaborating with Freewaves, Self Help
Graphics & Art at LA CAUSA.

TELA SOFA’s mission is to offer a venue for all interested filmmakers,
first-time through professional, to explore issues affecting our world
today while connecting them with the Hollywood film industry.

Self Help Graphics & Art (SHG) is a nationally recognized center for
Latino arts that develops and nurtures artists in printmaking. SHG
advances Latino art broadly through programming, exhibitions and outreach
to diverse audiences in East Los Angeles and beyond and engages young and
emerging artists from the community in all aspects of its activities.

LA CAUSA (Los Angeles Communities Advocating for Unity, Social Justice,
and Action) engages historically disenfranchised young people and their
families from East Los Angeles to take action against the injustices that
impact low-income communities of color.

Freewaves is dedicated to the creative exhibition of the most innovative
and culturally relevant independent new media from around the world.
Freewaves facilitates cross-cultural dialogues by inventing dynamic new
media exhibition forms at experimental and established venues throughout
Los Angeles.

http://oberliht.com