[oberlist] Fwd: Casco presents 'The Grand Domestic Revolution' project exhibition

stefan rusu suhebator at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 11:47:23 CET 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: e-Flux <info at mailer.e-flux.com>
Date: Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 12:35 PM
Subject: Casco presents 'The Grand Domestic Revolution' project exhibition
To: suhebator at gmail.com

**

November 6, 2011

   <http://www.e-flux.com>

*Casco – Office for Art,
Design and Theory*   <http://www.cascoprojects.org/gdr>
*
GDR exhibition poster design: Julia Born & Laurenz Brunner. *

*The Grand Domestic Revolution –
User's Manual*
Project exhibition
6 November 2011–26 February 2012

 *Casco – Office for Art, Design and Theory*
Nieuwekade 213-215
3511 RW Utrecht
The Netherlands

www.cascoprojects.org
  Share this announcement on:
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-flux.com%2Fshows%2Fview%2F10328&t=Casco+%E2%80%93+Office+for+Art%2C%3Cbr%2F%3EDesign+and+Theory+%2F+Casco+presents+%27The+Grand+Domestic+Revolution%27+project+exhibition>|
Delicious<http://delicious.com/save?v=5&noui&jump=close&title=Casco+%E2%80%93+Office+for+Art%2C%3Cbr%2F%3EDesign+and+Theory+%2F+Casco+presents+%27The+Grand+Domestic+Revolution%27+project+exhibition&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-flux.com%2Fshows%2Fview%2F10328>|
Twitter<http://twitter.com/home?status=Currently%20reading%20@e_flux%20announcement%20http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-flux.com%2Fshows%2Fview%2F10328>
 'Revolution' is no longer just a notion from a bygone era that is
periodically resuscitated as a fashion buzzword or in celebration of some
technological innovation. The current crisis makes it abundantly clear that
the triumph of neoliberalism has not guaranteed a better life for the
majority of citizens and non-citizens. Living means struggling with
perpetually rising housing rents and mortgage pressure, with the
consequences of having work or no work, and anxieties arising from
exploitation and self-exploitation. Living is flailing under the constant
demand for individualised performance. Living means being locked up in our
homes and workplaces, connected mainly through the Internet. Our lives have
been distanced from families, friends, colleagues, neighbours and
strangers. We want to change this—and that change has to be more than
cosmetic.

'The Grand Domestic Revolution—User's Manual' (GDR) is our proposal for
taking action and amending our precarious living conditions right here and
now, starting from our homes, neighbourhoods and work places, to our towns,
cities and beyond. After two years of 'living research' residencies, home
productions, town meetings and affinity actions, GDR culminates in an
exhibition that aims to share proposals for a grand domestic revolution
today. We ask you to join us in our investigation of the conditions and
status of the contemporary domestic sphere and in exploring ways of
transforming it—building new forms of living and working in common.

Long Live The Grand Domestic Revolution!

*The exhibition includes works by:*

Agency, Ask! (Actie Schone Kunsten) with Andreas Siekmann, Sepake Angiama &
Sam Causer, Pauline Boudry/Renate Lorenz, Doris Denekamp & Arend Groosman,
Domestic Workers Netherlands (part of FNV Bondgenoten) with Matthijs de
Bruijne, Paul Elliman with Na Kim, Hans van Lunteren and Rob van de Steen,
Casco-HKU Creative Lab 'Extended Family', Andrea Francke, 'Our Autonomous
Life' with Nazima Kadir, Maria Pask and evolving cooperative cast, Shiu
Jin, Mary Kelly with Margaret Harrison and Kay Hunt, kleines
postfordistisches Drama, Germaine Koh, Graziela Kunsch, Wietske Maas,
Gordon Matta-Clark, Travis Meinolf, Emilio Moreno, Read-in, Martha Rosler,
Helke Sander, Kateřina Šedá, Patricia Sousa, Xu Tan, Valerie Tevere & Angel
Nevarez, Mirjam Thomann, Mierle Laderman Ukeles, Jort van der Laan, Agnès
Varda, Werker Magazine, Vincent Wittenberg, and Haegue Yang.

Spatial design is by Ruth Buchanan and Andreas Müller. Exhibition map and
signage is developed by Åbäke.

*Themes:*

Through the two-year research process, four main themes emerged that have
become key lines of thought for engaging the large scope of GDR research
and actions.

- Domestic space: housing the commons and living together
- Domestic work: invisible labour and working at home
- Domestic property: struggles between ownership and usership
- Domestic relations: extended families, neighbours versus networks

*Locations:*

The works themselves perform their positions in dialogue with the
exhibition themes across Casco and other venues shared by our neighbours.

1. *Casco* – Office for Art, Design and Theory, Nieuwekade 213–215, Utrecht
www.cascoprojects.org
Casco is transformed into a living and working space, functioning as 'home
base' of the exhibition and further actions. It is also where GDR's
cooperative sitcom 'Our Autonomous Life?' is produced and screened, and
includes space for children and the GDR library.

2. *Volksbuurt Museum*, Waterstraat 27–29, Utrecht www.volksbuurtmuseum.nl
The Volksbuurt Museum finds its seed in Committee Wijk C, founded in 1974
to preserve and recover the neighbourhood, where Casco is also situated, in
response to rapid urban renewal and demolition projects. GDR works are
cohabiting with the various documents and objects in this local folks'
museum. Annexed as a temporary structure to Volksbuurt Museum is *18b
Pavilion* consisting of the structural devices installed in the former GDR
apartment.

3. *De Rooie Rat*, Oudegracht 65, Utrecht www.rooierat.nl
De Rooie Rat is the oldest leftist political bookstore in the Netherlands,
established in 1974 just up the canal from Casco. Works that call for
action mingle with the inspiring books at De Rooie Rat!

Opening hours: Wednesday to Sunday 11.00–17.00 (Sundays at De Rooie Rat,
12.00-17.00)

*Occasions:*

Watch out for the activities throughout the exhibition, including pilot
premiere of the cooperative sitcom *'Our Autonomous Life?'*,
*'Teach-in'*by Read-in,
*'Kitchen 139'* organised by * W139* <http://www.w139.nl>, Amsterdam with
Casco in conjunction with GDR, *'Assembly (The Grand Domestic
Revolution)'*by Agency,
*'Keywords Cooking School'* book launch by Xu Tan, collective futurist
fiction writing conference and home schools on GDR Future' (finnissage?).
More information is available on *our website*<http://www.cascoprojects.org>or
*GDR wiki* <http://www.cascoprojects.org/gdr>.

*Exhibition Team:*

Curators: Binna Choi & Maiko Tanaka; Curatorial support: Yolande van der
Heide; Production: Sofia Evans, Cindy van Rooijen, Suzanne Tiemersma;
Production support: Mariska Versantvoort, Marijke de Wal; Construction:
Thomas de Kroon, Michael Klinkenberg; Research and PR assistance: Katayoun
Arian; Communication design: Julia Born & Laurenz Brunner; General
management: Vincent Wijlhuizen.

GDR is made possible with the generous support of Stichting Doen, Gemeente
Utrecht, Mondriaan Stichting. Additional support: European Union Culture
Programme, K. F. Hein Fonds. Our partners include: De Rooie Rat; Volksbuurt
Museum; W139; Dutch Art Institute MFA ArtEZ; HKU Hogeschool voor de Kunsten
Utrecht; SKOR | Foundation for Art and Public Domain; RTV Utrecht; Utrecht
Manifest: Biennial for Social Design.

   Become a fan on
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/e-flux/54899149152>| Follow
us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/e_flux>