[oberlist] Politics of Feelings/Economies of Love_ Zagreb, December 18-19, 2012

natasa bodrozic abodrozi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 17:43:26 CET 2012

*POLITICS OF EMOTIONS / ECONOMIES OF LOVE*
lectures, screenings, discussions *

18. 12. 2012  Romana Schmalisch and Robert Schlicht (POGON, Zagreb, Kneza
Mislava 11/1)
19. 12. 2012 The Bureau of Melodramatic Research and Florin Flueras (Karas
Gallery, Zagreb, Praska 4)

*organisation: k.r.u.z.o.k.- http://kruzok.wordpress.com/*
 *

*
*
*
*As we have witnessed over the past few decades, the mass politics of
passion can often be a major driving force in the contemporary political
arena. The "politics of emotions" represents the core of identity politics.
To paraphrase Vjeran Katunarić in his article "The politics of memory", the
rulers of societal emotions are ideologies and their instruments of mass
politics, primarily the media. Consequently, it can be said that our social
and emotional capacities often limit our cognitive horizons. With respect
to ideological speech, we are interested in its representation in language
and image. According to Susan Sontag, the Utopian aesthetics deployed in
Nazi propaganda (i.e., identity as a biological given) implies an ideal
eroticism (sexuality transformed into the magnetism of a leader and his
joyful followers). The transformation of sexual energy into a spiritual
force for the benefit of the community is the fascist ideal. Our interest
is twofold: firstly, we are interested in the politics of emotions within
the dominant political discourse, including the sexuality/sexualisation of
ideological speech, and secondly, in its relation to the emotional
community of two or more individuals.

* This was (more or less) the message we have emailed to a number of
artists, theorists and cultural workers. We have chosen those
practices/proposals which demonstrated a certain divergence, as well as a
shift in form, i.e. interdisciplinary presentations, artistic explorations,
lecture performances or film research. Our guests - the Bureau of
Melodramatic Research (BMR) and Florin Flueras from Bucharest, and Romana
Schmalisch and Robert Schlicht from Berlin - operate on the intersection of
cultural practices, film theory and performance. Their preoccupation with
emotions is expressed in the form, without abstaining from theatralisation
and fictionalization, in addition to an analytical and reflexive approach.

-

*about the organizer*

*k.r.u.z.o.k*. is a platform directed primarily towards knowledge exchange
and communication within the sphere of contemporary culture, art and
theory, rather then towards their production and presentation. So far the
work of k.r.u.z.o.k. was realized in different public and private locations
throughout Zagreb  (Pogon, SC, AKC Medika, private locations...). It was of
closed character, in the sense that the meetings were organised via a
mailing list. The reason for this was that we wanted the direction of the
platform's activities to be self-determined, in accordance with the wishes
and needs of the participants, rather then to be set in advance, which is
common in project-based practices.
Together with some guest participants, k.r.u.z.o.k. (whose number of
participants constantly varies) is, for the first time, organizing a public
programme:  lecture-performances, presentations, projections and
discussions under the common title ''Politics of Emotions / Economies of
Love''.
*
At present, k.r.u.z.o.k. includes: Fokus Grupa, Slobodne veze/Loose
Associations and Irena Borić*.
More information on k.r.u.z.o.k is available on the blog:
http://kruzok.wordpress.com/
*
*
The project is supported by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of
Croatia and the Zagreb City Office of Education, Culture and Sports. It is
realised in cooperation with the KARAS/HDLU Gallery through the MEET THE
ARTIST programme, and with the Zagreb Centre for Independent Culture and
Youth (POGON).*

*

*Detaljniji program, sažetke i biografije umjetnika preuzmite sa linka (HR):
*
http://kruzok.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/politike-osjec487aja-ekonomije-ljubavi2.pdf

*More details about the programme (EN):*
http://slobodneveze.wordpress.com/2012/12/15/politics-of-feelingseconomies-of-love/

*programme: 18. 12. 2012. in Pogon, Kneza Mislava 11/1, Zagreb
6:00 pm*
*Nation and Negation*
(presentation of work by the artist duo about their video installation)
Romana Schmalisch, Robert Schlicht
*Break*
(with tea and cookies)

*7:30 pm*
*Preliminaries*
(movie 48min + discussion)
Romana Schmalisch, Robert Schlicht
*Mingling*
(with mulled wine and grappa)

*programme: 19. 12. 2012 Karas gallery space, Zagreb

6:00 pm*
*Protect Your Heart at Work*
(lecture performance)
Bureau of Melodramatic Research