[oberlist] GE* call/art: GeoAIR project “undergo. The parallels”, Tbilisi

Vladimir US vladimir at oberliht.org.md
Wed Jan 25 23:05:25 CET 2012

Begin forwarded message:

> From: nini palavandishvili <designini at gmail.com>
> Date: Jan 25, 2012 4:11:16 PM EET
> Subject: Fwd: Open Call for Artists / GeoAIR project “undergo. The
> parallels”, Tbilisi, Georgia,
>

> Open Call for Artists
>
> GeoAIR project “undergo. The parallels”, Tbilisi, Georgia, May-June
> 2012
>

> The notion of a “public space” together with an “Art in a public
> space”, has acquired a new significance in the last period
> worldwide. The word “public” means democracy, and includes
> “clearness”, “openness”, “involvement”, “participation” and
> “responsibilities” not only from the governmental side towards
> people, but between people in general as well. Discourse about Art
> in a public space, is not only definition of the word public, but it
> is also realization of the idea of democracy.
>

> The exhibition project “undergo the parallels” has to be held in
> about 10 underground passages of Tbilisi, images can be seen under: https://picasaweb.google.com/Infogeoair/UndergoTheParallels?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCL--5rnw8uGFdQ&feat=directlink
> .
>

> An exhibition project "undergo. the parallels" will take place in
> Tbilisi pedestrian underground passages. After the collapse of the
> Soviet Union, these underground passages have experienced different
> stages of existence: first they were completely abandoned and became
> dangerous places of muggings and robbery. The outcome of this was
> that people entered them more and more seldom, choosing to cross
> streets loaded with traffic arbitrarily, which led to a significant
> death toll. Later, these undergrounds became places where
> alternative, unofficial selling points arose. The more efficient
> sellers developed kiosks, shops, gambling places etc. Some of these
> underground passageways developed their own life, parallel to
> "normal" city life in the open air. These passages somehow turned
> into spaces of meeting and communicating, the youth are gathering in
> gambling houses, some musicians and students meet to play and listen
> to the music, the shop keepers are in close contact with the
> passengers and potential customers.
>
> Today these undergrounds are still under development, in some of
> them new “organized” commercial infrastructures are built, some of
> them are under the danger of collision, also there appeared some
> passages which regardless of their necessity, has lost their
> practical function, and became place for garbage, or turned into
> public toilets.
>

> There are two direct goals to be achieved with the project „undergo.
> the parallels“: practical and artistic.
>
> In term of practical goals we hope to animate the population of
> Tbilisi to more frequent usage of underground passageways. For these
> artists will work directly on site in the passageways, some of the
> works will be displayed during the whole project period, but also
> [...]

Vladimir US

CHIOSC   |   curator

http://chiosc.oberliht.com
http://plic.oberliht.com
http://chisineu.wordpress.com
http://bucuresti68.wordpress.com
http://www.facebook.com/Oberliht

Proiectul CHIOSC este realizat cu suportul financiar al Fundatiei
Culturale Europene http://www.eurocult.org

http://oberliht.com

tel/fax:	+ (373 22) 286317
email: 	vladimir at oberliht.org.md