[oberlist] UK* evnt/smnr: Questions of Value. From Commons to Communomics: Resisting Privatization. 27th of June, Loughborough University

Vladimir US vladimir at oberliht.org.md
Sun Jun 10 22:44:10 CEST 2012

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Kuba Szreder <derszer at googlemail.com>
> Date: Jun 10, 2012 11:37:52 PM EEST
> To: undisclosed-recipients:;
> Subject: Questions of Value. From Commons to Communomics: Resisting
> Privatization. 27th of June, Loughborough University.
>

> Questions of Value Symposium
> Is this email not displaying correctly?
> View it in your browser.
>

> Questions of Value - From Commons to Communomics: Resisting
> Privatization
>
> Image courtesy of Neil Cummings, ‘Sartre, Deller and me’
> Upcycled Sartre quote, press at Jeremy Deller exhibition at Hayward
> Gallery, Neil Cummings' five pound note, 2012.
>
> 27 June; 2pm - 7pm
> Seminar 1 – East Park Design Centre, 200.1.39 (first floor),
> Loughborough University
> FREE
>
> Speakers: Christophe Bruno, Neil Cummings, Open Music Archive, Toni
> Prug, Stevphen Shukaitis
>
> Moderated by: Kuba Szreder
>
> The Politicized Practice Research Group (PPRG) and Radar are
> initiating a new events series devoted to the critical examination
> and evaluation of social forms through which 'values' are produced,
> perpetuated and extracted in contemporary society and economies, in
> arts and culture. The sessions will invite a number of speakers and
> thinkers from a range of disciplines to share their thoughts and
> ideas on the subject of value. We will develop a particular focus on
> contemporary art, also inviting artists who address questions of
> value through, in and with their practice.
> The Questions of Value events aim to explore the variety of modes of
> valorisation, through which certain objects, ways of living,
> emotions, and even human beings are rendered as 'valuable' while
> others are neglected as unwanted and disposable.  The series will
> review and assess some of the contemporary debates and theories in
> which the concept of 'value' is central, from economics and ethics
> to mathematics and semiotics. The seminars will encompass a wide
> range of subjects, including the semiotics of speculation and the
> economics of financial capitalism, as well as contemporary forms of
> appropriating and extracting value.
>
> In the first session of the series - we are delighted to welcome
> Christophe Bruno, Neil Cummings, Open Music Archive, Toni Prug and
> Stevphen Shukaitis to Loughborough to discuss questions of value
> with a focus on - From Commons to Communomics: Resisting
> Privatization. Christophe Bruno will unveil the mechanisms that
> create and capture the value of symbols in semio-capitalism.  Neil
> Cummings will investigate the notion of abundance of the commons
> from a future perspective, imagining what kind of evaluative
> structures will evolve if the dogma of scarcity and economic
> restriction is abolished. Open Music Archive will present their
> project 'Song division', which resists the enclosures of public
> domain by copyright regimes and proprietary intellectual ownership.
> [...]

Vladimir US

CHIOSC   |   curator

http://chiosc.oberliht.com
http://plic.oberliht.com
http://chisineu.wordpress.com
http://bucuresti68.wordpress.com
http://www.facebook.com/Oberliht

Proiectul CHIOSC este realizat cu suportul financiar al Fundatiei
Culturale Europene http://www.eurocult.org

http://oberliht.com

tel/fax:	+ (373 22) 286317
email: 	vladimir at oberliht.org.md