[oberlist] EUROPE# cfA: statement on cultural co-operation between EU and Neighbouring countries

Vladimir US vladimir at oberliht.org.md
Sat Jun 23 22:22:56 CEST 2012

http://www.ecflabs.org/group/tandem/blog/creative-europe-%E2%80%93-opportunity-improve-cultural-cooperation-between-eu-and-neighbou

For the last 12 months, 48 cultural manages from 31 cities across
Europe have been working on artistic co-productions in the framework
of Tandem, a cultural managers’ exchange programme initiated by the
European Cultural Foundation(ECF) and MitOst, and partly funded
through the European Commission’s CULTURE Programme and the Robert
Bosch Stiftung.

In duos (or tandems), the selected cultural managers from 11 EU
countries, Ukraine and Moldova took part in placements in each other’s
organisations and enriched their cultural management skills and
knowledge during workshops and study visits in Brussels, Kiev and
Chisinau. Looking back on the experience of this cultural exchange,
the Tandem community has developed the following statement on cultural
co-operation between EU and Neighbouring countries.

We believe in the power of culture to connect and inspire people. We
also believe that culture is essential for creating open, inclusive
and democratic societies. Supporting culture is crucial for the
education of all Europe’s citizens about democracy, freedom of choice
and the responsibilities that come with it.

On a daily basis, we experience the threat to culture and its
operators in countries in Eastern Europe, where there is a substantial
lack of democratic traditions and structures, as well as in countries
in Western Europe, where the focus falls all too often on the economic
value of the arts.

We consider international cultural co-operation as a vital opportunity
to meet colleagues and peers from abroad, to learn from each other and
to exchange best practices in the cultural sector.

We welcome the opening up of the Creative Europe programme to the EU
Neighbourhood countries.

We call on the EU and on the EU Neighbourhood countries (especially
Ukraine and Moldova) to work together to remove all obstacles to
international cultural cooperation as soon as possible.

More specifically, we urge the EU and the EU Neighbourhood countries:

• To conclude the Memoranda of Understanding in the field of cultural
co-operation as soon as possible;

• To address the existing needs for structural reforms and capacity
building in both the EU and EU Neighbourhood countries. This includes
support for networking, best practice exchange and peer education, as
well as a revision of the tax, legal framework and funding for
cultural organisations;

• To recognise the benefits of culture as crucial to sustainable socio-
economic development and make sure that the different EU policies and
instruments are aligned;

• To establish cultural contact points in the EU Neighbourhood
countries, to support local organisations with their applications to
the programme and other relevant needs;

• To lower the minimum contribution from the (often small and
independent) NGOs in the EU Neighbourhood countries to 20% of the
project budget.

This is an excerpt of the statement as it was presented in Chisinau on
25 May 2012 by the Tandem community.

Vladimir US

CHIOSC   |   curator

http://chiosc.oberliht.com
http://plic.oberliht.com
http://chisineu.wordpress.com
http://bucuresti68.wordpress.com
http://www.facebook.com/Oberliht

Proiectul CHIOSC este realizat cu suportul financiar al Fundatiei
Culturale Europene http://www.eurocult.org

http://oberliht.com

tel/fax:	+ (373 22) 286317
email: 	vladimir at oberliht.org.md