[oberlist] Open Call for the 30th Biennial of Graphic Arts

Karla Železnik karla.zeleznik at mglc-lj.si
Mon Jan 21 15:41:25 CET 2013

Dear Madame/Sir,

I kindly ask you to publish Open Call for 30th Biennial of Graphic Arts.

Thank you and regards from Ljubljana, Karla

OPEN CALL

30th Biennial of Graphic Arts, Ljubljana, Slovenia

14 September-24 November 2013

International Centre of Graphic Arts, Pod turnom 3, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

DEADLINE: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 5 pm

ELIGIBLE

All artists currently residing in Southeastern Europe (Albania, Bosnia and
Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Romania,
Slovenia, Serbia).

ABOUT

The 30th Biennial of Graphic Arts in Ljubljana will highlight some of the
evolutions the graphic field has undergone in contemporary times. Print
processes, broadly defined here as methods that use a process of
transference (that often involve a matrix which allows for multiple
incarnations of any one work), have expanded to touch many types of
present-day art. While select, traditional media have evolved and adapted to
maintain their relevance, others have become primitive formats resigned to
oblivion. Still other, newer processes-most notably, digital practices-after
a long fermentation, finally seem to have taken a legitimate hold as
artistic tools in their own right. This edition will focus on projects that
have a renewed, contemporary engagement with traditional means, evolve
established processes with fresh applications, or embrace new printerly
technologies in high-quality, artistic investigations. In most cases, the
techniques employed echo and comment on conditions of the current world in
which we live: how we now receive our information, how we interact-or
attempt to-with each other, how we (mis)perceive our world. This
re-consideration of the graphic as both form and content has invigorated the
polygraphic terrain, and links the work of artists from around the world.

CURATOR

Deborah Cullen is a curator of the 30th Biennial of Graphic Arts in
Ljubljana. Deborah Cullen, PhD is Director & Chief Curator of the Miriam and
Ira D. Wallach Art Gallery at Columbia University in the City of New York.
She served as Chief Curator for El Panal/The Hive: 3ra Trienal Poligráfica
de San Juan: América Latina y el Caribe, Puerto Rico (2012).

PRODUCER

The producer of Ljubljana's Biennial of Graphic Arts is the International
Centre of Graphic Arts (MGLC) in Ljubljana, a specialized museum for the art
of printing, artists' books and ephemera. If we consider the history of the
Ljubljana Biennial from today's perspective, we could say that one of its
greatest assets is that it presented current art from both West and East
during the Iron Curtain period. Gradually, as part of the non-aligned policy
that was the key pillar of Tito's Yugoslavia, virtually the entire world
took part in it. Artists from the USA, Western Europe and the countries of
the Eastern Bloc, as well as - very unusual for the time - artists from the
Middle East, Africa and Asia, all exhibited at the Ljubljana Biennial.
In the year 2013 will see the 30th edition of the International Biennial of
Graphic Arts, which has, particularly during the last twelve years,
refreshed its concept, actualised as well as expanded the field of the
graphic arts as a medium, and re-examined its structure time and again.

HOW TO APPLY

Please submit the following:

. a description of the existing project, no more than one page

. a brief resume, no more than 3 pages

. If the work cannot be produced without funding, please submit a detailed
budget request.
. up to 10 JPGs, including the proposed project and previous, recent work to
which it relates (please send images at a low resolution to open quickly)

. an image list (title, year, medium, dimensions, and a 1-sentence
description if needed)

(video, audio or other formats may be submitted if relevant, no more than 5
minutes)

NOTE THAT SUBMISSION MATERIALS WILL NOT BE RETURNED---

DO NOT SEND ANY ORIGINAL DOCUMENTATION.

SEND TO: bozidar.zrinski at mglc-lj.si

Karla Železnik, kustodinja dokumentalistka, odnosi z javnostmi/

Custodian, Documentation and Publication Section, Public Relations

+386 (0)1 241 38 09, karla.zeleznik at mglc-lj.si

Mednarodni grafični likovni center/International Centre of Graphic Arts
Grad Tivoli, Pod turnom 3, Ljubljana,  <http://www.mglc-lj.si/>
www.mglc-lj.si

***

Danilo Jejčič, pregledna razstava/retrospective exhibition

Mladen Stropnik, Sofa
30. 11. 2012-10. 2. 2013