[oberlist] Kickstarter campaign for Aesthletics in Moldova

Tom Russotti tom at aesthletics.org
Tue Jul 2 18:30:12 CEST 2013

Hello!

The Institute for Aesthletics has launched its first ever Kickstarter
campaign today for

a project called Aesthletics in Moldova. The full project description,
video, and funding links are here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/81358564/aesthletics-in-moldova

In brief: in August I will travel to Chisinau, Moldova to work with
Chiosc, a public art organization to research contemporary sport
practice in Moldova, to invent new sports, and to build a sport field
somewhere in the city. We are going to investigate what happened to
sport, specifically sport in the public sphere, once Moldova gained
independence from the Soviet Union, and use that knowledge to build
new sports with artists and the general public.

I am running a Kickstarter campaign for two reasons.

1) It couldn't happen any other way. There are little funds available
for experimental cultural projects in Moldova, and there are
unavoidable costs to this project including translation and
interpretation, graphic design, newspaper printing, and art and
building materials for the field. Aesthletics has prided itself on its
DIY and bare bones production style, and I have already avoided costs
by getting some international travel paid for by a different project,
but these fixed costs remain (not to mention 10% to Kickstarter and
Amazon!)  Any support, including spreading the word, will be greatly
appreciated.

2) This is an amazing project, and there will be lots of cool stuff to
give you! We are going to make a newspaper about the research project
which will be fascinating( if I do say so myself), and I'll be taking
tons of photographs to make a series of limited edition prints. Plus I
am making a very cool t shirt of the Chisinau Circus building, an
iconic Soviet era building. Also if you are feeling very generous, you
can buy the naming rights to the field we build!

For both myself and Chiosc, this sport project is somewhat uncharted
waters, but we are excited to jump in.

For more information about Aesthletics and Chiosc you can visit our
websites.

http://aesthletics.org

http://chiosc.oberliht.com/

Thanks for your support!