[oberlist] BADco. // A Lesser Evil at Kino SC, 16.-18.10.2015.

BADco. badco_news at badco.hr
Sat Oct 11 15:06:11 CEST 2014

BADco. premiere A Lesser Evil

View this email in your browser (http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=3b32170d2608944c1994e6c7f&id=300329d5b8&e=7d15622f24)

** Premiere: 16., 17. and 18. 10. 2014 @ Kino SC, Savska 25, Zagreb, Croatia

You go and you arrive somewhere. Or not. You watch and you see something. Or not. The place at which you arrive will not exist for long, the things you see seem like a threat. But what connects the concrete place, its time and its duration, is rhythm; a rhythm which constitutes dance, which constitutes fear, a rhythm which constitutes pleasure. In this new performance by BADco. rhythm forms time which carries the dread, a time which ticks away, a time which hammers in. If the contemporary danse macabre is no longer a procession of dead men or a procession of social classes but rather a chain of vibrations, electromagnetic waves and sonic affects, how else would one choreograph it if not as a solo performance?
Our everyday life unfolds according to different temporal cycles like the calendar, daily and lunar cycles, and basic life cycles – somatic or mechanical. Rhythm is the phenomenon that connects place and time and provides a sort of infrastructure for time. Tempo, a momentary choice, duration, frequencies, sequences and rhythm are all mutually conditioning structures of time and every dance performance, which is a limited temporal image of spatial modifications, benefits precisely from the ways it deploys these structures. The work on this performance is thus grounded in our interest in the so-called rhythmanalysis and focused greatly on the experimentation with a set of varied relations which occur between rhythmic patterning, vibrations and frequencies, as well as different ways of measuring time. A dance performance, whether it be artistic, recreational, religious or social is, on the other hand, only one among many tactics of drowning the body into sonic spaces that
produce matching affective states – pleasure, irritation or fear. Furthermore, one of the mythological topoi of the discourse on dance is precisely the body’s attempt to reach a state when it is fully immersed in the act of dancing. This concept of a body that is being danced away proposes that we think about the body in dance as a specific type of object in continuity with other material objects, as a particular condensation of matter within a general continuity of movement.

Choreography in this performance is an attempt to neglect the romanticist concept of the body as a generator of movement and focus instead on the body’s ability to mediate but also to resist different series of movements, gazes and vibrations which chain both living and nonliving mediators together by way of conformation, translation, composition etc. And for this reason we needed to focus our attention on the “underground fluxes” of a dance performance; the infrastructure of dance, background rhythms, the rhythm of elementary corporeal functions and their visceral effects.
BADco.

The performance is jointly choreographed by Nikolina Pristaš and Zrinka Užbinec and it is performed by Zrinka Užbinec.
Dramaturgy and set up: Goran Sergej Pristaš
Music and suggestions about sound: Alen and Nenad Sinkauz
Idea and costume design: Silvio Vujičić
Sound design: Jasmin Dasović
Company manager: Lovro Rumiha
Production assistant: Vanja Zubović
Photo: Dinko Rupčić
More about the performance:
http://badco.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3b32170d2608944c1994e6c7f&id=a5aa45c657&e=7d15622f24

Project supported by: Zagreb City Council for Education, Culture and Sport; Ministry of Culture of Republic of Croatia

Copyright © 2014 BADco., All rights reserved.
 News from theater collective BADco.

Our mailing address is:
BADco.
Kozarčeva 26