[oberlist] AT* grant: International Fellowship Program for Art and Theory

ober ober at emdash.org
Mon Dec 21 00:50:10 CET 2015

Subject: Artinfo Digest, Vol 84, Issue 4
From:    artinfo-request at lists.c3.hu
Date:    Tue, December 8, 2015 1:00 pm
To:      artinfo at lists.c3.hu

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 10:52:17 +0100
From: e-artnow <info at e-artnow.org> (by way of Janos Sugar)
Subject: [artinfo] International Fellowship Program for Art and Theory

K?nstlerhaus B?chsenhausen

International Fellowship Program for Art and Theory 2016-17

Call For Applications

<>buchsenhausen.at/index.php?newlang=eng

K?nstlerhaus B?chsenhausen invites visual and
media artists, art critics, theorists, and
curators to apply for a fellowship in 2016-2017.
Candidates can apply for one semester (October 3,
2016 - February 12, 2017 or February 13, 2017 -
June 24, 2017). The fellowship can be split
across two semesters.

The closing date for submissions is January 29th, 2016 (postmark).

INSTITUTION
K?nstlerhaus B?chsenhausen is a post-graduate
center for production, research, exchange in the
fields of visual arts and art theory. Within the
framework of the International Fellowship Program
for Art and Theory, the K?nstlerhaus provides a
platform that facilitates the development and
production of artistic and art-theoretical
projects in a critical context. At the same time,
K?nstlerhaus B?chsenhausen offers a forum for
direct exchange between professionals - artists,
theoreticians, critics, and curators - from the
region and abroad, as well as a point of
interaction with local interested audiences.
K?nstlerhaus B?chsenhausen is affiliated with the
Tyrolean Artists' Association, the major
association of visual artists from the region.

B?chsenhausen brings together two programs under
one roof. On the one hand, it is the site of the
International Fellowship Program for Art and
Theory. On the other hand, it is the location of
several studios for artists based in Tyrol who
require space for working in a professionally
interesting environment. Three apartment studios
are used by the participants in the fellowship
program. The other six studios are available to
artists based in Tyrol. The project and
presentation space is equipped with multimedia
facilities and is at the fellows' disposal. The
space was designed by Atelier van Lieshout.

INTERNATIONAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
With its Fellowship Program for Art and Theory,
B?chsenhausen promotes internationally relevant
artistic production, research, and discussion in
the region of Tyrol. The program is based on the
idea of generating and maintaining a context for
production and discussion, in which artists and
theorists can connect and reflect on
international art and societal discourses in
relation to local topics and issues. At the same
time, it affords the opportunity for an artistic
laboratory of experimentation, where new artistic
practices and strategies may be tried out.

The program's aims are:
* to promote and relay a critical, socially
relevant production of knowledge in art and art
theory;
* to produce, through the fellowship projects,
qualified discourses on art and society within
the local and global contexts;
* to enable the transfer of knowledge between the
field of art and other publics outside the art
context;
* to facilitate the exchange between cultural
producers in the visual arts and beyond (creating
a network of experts).

The program combines the advantages of a
residency with the possibilities of a
postgraduate, non-university lectureship on the
basis of an open, non-formalized structure. In
terms of content, the program addresses a
worldwide public made up of professionals in the
fields of contemporary art, architecture, art and
media theory, and criticism.

The fellows are selected by a jury of experts
following an open call for applications. They
come to B?chsenhausen for one or two semesters to
work on realizing their proposed undertaking, and
accompany this process with public events. For
this purpose, B?chsenhausen offers a monthly
stipend, a production budget, working spaces,
free lodging, and artistic and technical advice.

The conveyance and discussion of the fellow's own
work occurs parallel to the development of the
individual proposals. The public events take
place in series. The focus of these series of
events is determined by the respective emphases
of the various fellows' works. Within the
framework of this discursive format, the fellows
(or their guests) can present various points in
their investigations, open up their
works-in-progress to critical discussion,
interact with experts who they invite, work
through content with the public, and/or try out
new ways of working. The fellowship year ends
with a group exhibition curated by the director
of the Fellowship Program.

For former and current fellows and their realized
work please visit
<http://buchsenhausen.at/index.php?newlang=eng>buchsenhausen.at/index.php?newlang=eng
(Menu item 'Fellows').

FELLOWSHIP
>  a grant of EUR 3,150 to cover the costs of
>living during the period of residency in
>Innsbruck;
>  an individual studio for working and living,
>furnished with a large shared kitchen;
>  a production budget for the realization of the submitted proposal;
>  a budget for inviting experts to B?chsenhausen
>for the purpose of professional exchange;
>  the opportunity of a group exhibition at the
>end of the fellowship at the Kunstpavillon in
>Innsbruck.

FACILITIES
>  free access to the 'Lab', the project/gallery space;
>  free use of the available multimedia production equipment in the 'Lab';
>  free DSL/WLAN Internet access;
>  professional artistic advice;
>  technical advice if required.

ELIGIBILITY
Professional visual/media artists, art theorists,
art critics, and curators from all over the world
are eligible for the fellowship.

REQUIREMENTS
The application must include a concrete work
proposition. Work on the submitted proposal forms
the core of each fellow's activities during
his/her stay in B?chsenhausen. A description of a
series of public events intended to accompany the
individual work during the duration of the
fellowship (up to four events) is also an
integral part of the working proposal. If the
application is successful, the fellows are
required to specify the details of the
presentation series and carry out the proposed
program.

The fellows declare themselves willing to be
present at B?chsenhausen for the duration of the
fellowship. Working knowledge of English is
required.

SELECTION
The selection of fellows is made by a jury of
experts and based on the quality, originality,
and relevance of the proposed undertaking and the
work samples submitted by the applicants. The
jury includes the director of K?nstlerhaus
B?chsenhausen, a member of the advisory board at
K?nstlerhaus B?chsenhausen and one external
expert.
The selection procedure occurs in two stages.
In the first stage, the submitted applications
are evaluated and the jury makes a shortlist of
candidates who will be invited to B?chsenhausen
for personal interviews.
The personal interview with the jury forms the
second stage. For the interview, the applicants
have to come to Innsbruck to personally present
their working plans and aims during the
fellowship.
B?chsenhausen will pay for accommodation in
Innsbruck for one night, but cannot cover the
costs for travel to Innsbruck. Alternatively, a
video conference (for instance via Skype) is also
possible.
There is no legal right to be awarded a
fellowship at K?nstlerhaus B?chsenhausen. The
jury is therefore under no obligation to justify
decisions. The jury's decision will be
communicated in written form in March 2016 (first
stage) and April 2016 (second stage).

For the full text of the call, more information
on the application procedure, financial
questions, etc. please consult our website
<http://buchsenhausen.at/index.php?newlang=eng>buchsenhausen.at/index.php?newlang=eng

office at buchsenhausen.at

Phone: +43 512 278627
Fax: +43 512 278627 11