[oberlist] UK* evnt/meet: Occupation Culture Event London June 26

ober at emdash.org ober at emdash.org
Mon Jun 22 01:27:04 CEST 2015

Subject: [transversal] Occupation Culture Event London June 26
From:    "Stevphen Shukaitis" <stevphen at autonomedia.org>
Date:    Thu, June 18, 2015 7:53 pm
To:      transversal-list at eipcp.net

*Occupation Culture*
12 – 7PM, June 26
MAYDAY ROOMS: http://maydayrooms.org/event/occupation-culture/
88 Fleet Street, London EC4Y 1DH, United Kingdom

How has squatting contributed to the production of art and culture?
During times where the cost of rent and living rises well beyond the
ability of cultural workers to support themselves in the metropolis,
squatting has played an important role in making possible the continued
existence of autonomous art and culture.

Come and join us for this daylong event that will seek together to bring
materials and experiences of how occupations and squatting have
contributed to the production of autonomous culture. From social centres
to free schools, temporary galleries to combined studios and living
spaces, we invite people to bring along materials from your projects
that explore these questions and connections.

We will be joined by historian and activist Alan W. Moore, who has been
working on setting up and documenting these spaces and practices for
almost forty years. We will start with an informal lunch and sharing of
food, spending the afternoon working through and discussing materials
that are brought, and then in the early evening Alan will present his
new book on the subject, Occupation Culture: Art & Squatting in the City
from Below, and the recent anthology Making Room: Cultural Production in
Occupied Spaces.

Other events with Alan Moore:
June 24 Cowley Club, Brighton, 7 p.m: the Bookshop --
http://www.cowleyclub.org.uk
June 27 The Field, London, 6p.m.:
http://thefieldnx.com/event/alan-moore-reading/

More information here: