[oberlist] CA* call/air: "On Energy" - Banff Research in Culture 2016

ober ober at emdash.org
Wed Nov 18 02:40:52 CET 2015

Subject: [CultTheory] "On Energy" - Banff Research in Culture 2016 - Call
for Applicants
From:    "Imre Szeman" <imre at ualberta.ca>
Date:    Thu, November 5, 2015 11:17 pm
To:      "Imre Szeman" <imre at ualberta.ca>

(Please circulate widely)

*On Energy*

Banff Research in Culture 2016 / The Banff Centre

May 30 to June 24, 2016

Application Deadline: December 16, 2016

Applications information can be found at:

https://www.banffcentre.ca/programs/banff-research-culture-energy

Faculty: Keller Easterling <http://kellereasterling.com>, Matthew Huber
<http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/geo/Huber,_Matthew_T_/>, Imre Szeman
<http://www.crcculturalstudies.ca>; others TBA

Program Director: Jeff Diamanti <http://www.jeffdiamanti.com>

Our lives revolve around energy. From driving our cars—or bikes—to
work, to
eating food and heating our homes, energy in some form or another
conditions the quotidian at every scale. Energy grounds the daily, the
quarterly, the annual, and the epochal. Futures trading in New York and
Chicago makes the extremes of weather a fiscal crisis for working families
hard pressed to pay their utilities, while the growth rate of nations bends
to the capacities and supply of domestic and international energy markets.
Since the industrial revolution, our lives have been fueled by the social
and physical energy available from coal, oil, and natural gas. No longer
dependent on the rhythms and limits of organic energy, such as wood, water,
and animal power, fossil fuels have simultaneously made the modern,
globalized economy possible, and redefined the social history of energy in
the meantime. What Leibniz called the *living force* has become, since the
systematic mechanization of fossil fuels in the 19th century, the
fundamental force of modern history.

“On Energy” invites participants in the fields of visual art,
architecture,
design, literature, humanities, social sciences, and physical sciences to
consider energy; its conceptual, corporal, and cultural development since
its thermodynamic invention, and the sort of materialism that can emerge
when energy is redefined in a postindustrial capitalist society. This
residency asks artists and researchers to collectively address energy’s
historical figures and futures, its visual and social economy, and its
capacity to *dis*figure, since energy is not a *thing*, but rather a
*representation* of the force embedded in matter and the relations between
materials. Over four weeks of intense workshops, discussion groups, studio
time, and individual research, we will consider the cultural, political,
and historical components of energy, explore new ways to artistically and
conceptually figure energy in history, as well, examine the social and
physical forms energy might ground in the future. While participants are
expected to arrive with interests and ideas particular to their own
research and artistic practice, the collective aim of “On Energy” is to
reimagine energy in the long view, and to establish the possibilities and
limitations of a theory of energy.

*Banff Research in Culture *

Banff Research in Culture (BRiC) is a research residency program designed
for scholars engaged in advanced theoretical research on themes and topics
in culture. BRiC is designed to offer researchers with similar interests
from different disciplinary and professional backgrounds an opportunity to
exchange opinions and ideas. Participants are encouraged to develop new
research, artistic, editorial, and authorial projects, both individually
and in connection with others.

During the residency, participants will attend lectures, seminars, and
workshops offered by visiting faculty from around the world. The residency
will help to develop new approaches toward the study and analysis of
culture, as well as creating lasting networks of scholars who might use
this opportunity as the basis for future collaborative work.

The Banff Centre <http://www.banffcentre.ca/> is a world-renowned facility
supporting the creation and performance of new works of visual art, music,
dance, theatre, and writing.

*Who Should Apply*

We look forward to receiving compelling and original proposals from
thinkers, researchers, architects, writers, curators, humanists, social
scientists, and artists. This program is open to current PhD researchers
and post-doctoral researchers (faculty up to tenure) beginning their
careers. Artist applicants must have completed formal training in visual
arts and demonstrate a commitment to professional practice.

(Note: Our aim is to offset applicants' cost of participation in BRiC
through grants and awards.)

Please direct questions to: diamanti.jeff at gmail.com

*Imre Szeman*
Canada Research Chair in Cultural Studies
University of Alberta
www.crcculturalstudies.ca
www.petrocultures.com
www.afteroil.ca