[oberlist] invitation to the exhibition A Place to call your own

kinga lendeczki lkinga.89 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 20:13:04 CET 2016

​FB event <https://www.facebook.com/events/1055798114443030/>

We would like to invite you for the presentation and exhibition of the
project *A Place to call your own* realized with the participation of
asylum seekers and refugees living in Moldova.

The project *A Place to call your own* started in June 2015 with the aim to
provide possibility to asylum seekers and refugees to tell how they
conceive this moment of their life in the Republic of Moldova. When the
project was launched, the original idea was to ask participants to take
photos of their everyday life and meaningful places in their hosting
country and explain their choice with giving description or sharing
personal stories connecting to each image.

In the meantime we realized that being the photographer of their own life
was not a convenient position for the participants. They preferred to talk
about their impressions and experiences of living in Moldova than to
capture these moments. Especially as these meetings provided possibility
for them to have personal interactions and share their thoughts with people
who also perceive life in this country from the position of an ‘outsider’.
With sequence of time our regular meetings became occasions for them to
recall and retell memories and stories – good ones and not so pleasant ones
as well – that they did not think about for a long time or might not have a
possibility to share with someone before. Little by little they became the
narrator of the tale of their life and we as their listeners got to know
better not only them and their life in their current host country, but also
some details of the long and tough journey that led them here.

All of them started this journey with leaving their home and their native
country and some of them might not have the chance to return or to find
this place in the same condition as they preserved in their memories. Some
of the participants already found their place here and settled down in
Moldova, while the others are willing to move on and continue seeking for a
place that they can call their own. In one way or other their paths
intersected each other in this country.

We decided to capture this moment of their life. We collected their stories
as they were told us and we completed them with the visual documentations
of these meetings and in some cases with our own visual interpretations
using the diverse tools of art. One of our main objectives was to give
beneficiaries the possibility to feel protagonist of the project therefore
our aim was not to replace their stories with the visual works, rather to
make an attempt to visualize and transfer their impressions and feelings
connecting to these personal memories. Through these works and the own
words of the participants we wanted to draw a personal portrait of them and
explain the process they are going through in this period of their life.

At the same time we wanted to show that long and sometimes challenging
process that led to the realization of this exhibition. When we started to
work on this project we also started a journey, which led us sometimes to
the labyrinth of personal relations and interactions. However we defined
our objectives at the beginning, we needed to search for new ways from time
to time to reach them. Sometimes we got lost on the way and sometimes we
found more than what we expected. After all we arrived richer…

Team: Paul Garcia, Kinga Lendeczki, Celeste Panno, Federica Pulcini, Marco
Residori

The project was supported by the European Comission and the Charity Centre
for Refugees.

Opening: 28 January, 18:00

Opening hours: from 14:00 to 16:00 on weekdays, weekends on demand

Contact: paul.garcia.sd at gmail.com

Place: Buncher/AMTAP, Str. 31 August 1989, nr. 137., Chisinau, Moldova