[oberlist] OPEN CALL EXTENDED until 19th of JULY!/ PARTICIPATION DATES CHANGED/ SUMMER SCHOOL ON ART MEDIATION / CHISINAU

Sokolnykova Tanja tatsokolnykova at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 13:16:45 CEST 2019

OPEN CALL FOR PARTICIPATION in the summer school on art mediation with the opportunity to design one own's art mediation format in the frame of the exhibition  „Taxonomy Moldova. Re-Searching“ by the German artist and photographer Volker Kreilder,  in collaboration with the Ukrainian curator and art mediator Tanja Sokolnykova

Details on the project (more information about the project and exhibition format during the school time): http://www.volkerkreidler.com/en/projects/taxonomy-moldova/cover
Time and place of the exhibition: September 2019, Colegiul de arte plastice "Alexandru Plămădeală", Chisinau
Facilitator of the school: Tanja Sokolnykova (info below)
Venue of  the school: primarilly Colegiul de arte plastice "Alexandru Plămădeală" and other places in Chisinau
School is free of costs for attending !
Each participant get a Honorarium of 150 Euro per person which will be paid upon completion of the project !
There is also a budget for materials and production of your art mediation formats !

APPLY HERE: https://forms.gle/bPXg1gQmrTtpvYqm9 <https://forms.gle/bPXg1gQmrTtpvYqm9>

The summer school as a transdisplinary learning site invites:
urbanists
activists
artists
art teachers
theater performers
movement researchers
curators and other cultural actors who are interested in the art mediation, art education and pedagogy to become a critical mediator of the exhibition „Taxonomy Moldova. Re-Searching“.

In the first part of the school we deepen into the context of the project, theoretical issues and methods of art mediation at the interface with larger sociopolitical discourses on representation, knowledge production, participation, ecology, embodied practices, spatial research. The theoretical discussions go along with practical exercises,  exploring the ways how we perceive/sense/feel/listen our own bodies/other bodies/ the body of environment. The discussions and exercises should be bridged to the local contexts and needs with a view on the challenges of art education. In act of responding, we try to design ideas and methodologies for the future learning spaces. There are no teachers and students in this program, we are parts of the dynamic exchange of roles. Uncertainty, trials and errors are seen as possibilities and not as obstacles.

In the second part we test what is exchanged. You are invited to design in groups different participative formats (workshops, dialogic city tours, performances, interventions etc) that would reflect, challenge and lead a critical dialog with the project „ Taxonomy Moldova. Re-Searching“ during the exhibition time, in September 2019. There is no agenda of making guides or explaining exhibition. Rather, we search for other ways of interacting/thinking/acting/speaking through and about arts. Generally critical art mediation refers to the process of gaining and negotiating knowledge implied in art and sociopolitical phenomena to which it refers through exchange, reaction and creative response that might also to reflect institutional/educational contexts of place. On the one hand, there is a question how to create tools that would enable critical approach to visual image, exhibition setting and its issues and on the other hand how to enact the agency of participating group through artistic and performative formats.  The challenge is to approach integral learning, addressing cognitive, emotional and practical aspects, by activating body and mind of the participants.
We build the groups together, according to interests and mutual energy. Each group will be responsible for a preparation and realization of one participative format in the exhibition space and/or outside of it which might occur two times (max. 2 days - it can be a longer format where you work with one group during 2 days; or it is a shorter format that takes place two times with different groups; or it is a format which is directly integrated in the exhibition display and it is accessible to every visitor). The idea is to prepare approx. 3 formats of variable length that will address different groups (students from arts college; the youth from Artico, The Republican Center for Children and Youth; through open invitation; more details during the school time).
Throughout the school you have a possibility to face different aspects and challenges of art mediation in theory and practice and to collect experiences that you might integrate in your own practice and projects.

REQUIREMENTS:

Full presence and participation (see: key dates!)

Proficiency in English ( English is working language of the summer school; the texts we read are also in English; the language of your projects is your choice)

The participation requires a readiness to document together the processes of the summer school and the art mediation formats and to present this visual/textual material in the exhibition space for the public, so that it remains transparent what happens throughout the project time, what questions and learning processes occur. Art mediation is a young field that is oft and still regarded as a service. A presentation of learning processes creates their autonomy and breaks established exhibition frames and roles within it. There is a possibility to create mobile walls/surfaces which can be used for this purpose and through which we can play with the scenography of the exhibition space.

Participation in the public talk as a collective reflection on the made experiences at the end of the project (End of September)

KEY DATES AND ROUGH COURSE OF ACTION:

19th of July  - Application deadline
Selected participants will be contacted by E-Mail with further information till 26th of July
1st meeting: 04.08,  11.00 – approx. 18.00: coming together, introduction, contexts, organizational  frames, exercises etc.
2nd meeting: 08.08, 11.00 – approx. 18.00 : Readings, exercises
3rd meeting: 11.08,  11.00 – approx. 18.00: Readings, exercises outdoor
4th meeting: 13.08, 11.00 – approx. 18.00:  Collecting ideas for art mediation formats, group building, working in groups
5th meeting: 15.08, 11.00 – approx. 18.00:  Working in groups on the single projects;  Prepare short texts - descriptions of the formats
6th meeting: self-organized meeting of groups, finishing projects.
There will be also 1-2 meetings between 1.09 and 6.09 in the exhibition space: production/ last preparations/ installation etc. of your projects (depending on your learning format).
Approx. 2 days of facilitation (depending on your learning format)
Approx. 1 day - preparation of documentation and its presentation in the exhibition space (during September)
End of September: Public talk

About the facilitator:

Hi there! My name is Tanja Sokolnykova, I am Ukrainian art mediator and curator, based in Berlin.
I started my journey with art by working as a curator in independent project spaces in Berlin. Later I turned to the questions of exhibition contexts, their infrastructures, institutional and social conditions as well to the learning processes that can be generated within it. I co-worked on the project „About the Museum“ at the Educational Department of the State Museums of Berlin. Established in 2015, it is an innovative platform with different experimental formats and activities
in which museum members collaborate with students, universities and cultural actors of various fields in order to develop conditions for the critical art mediation, rethinking social role of museums. I studied art history in Berlin and now I am finishing Master in Curatorial Studies at the Zürich University of Arts, a program at the interface of curating, art mediation and scenography. My research interests lie in social ecology, somatic embodied practices, decolonizing knowledges.  Dance improvisation and movement research is what I enjoy in my life. From 2014 I collaborate with the photographer Volker Kreidler. In our projects we deal with the  dialectic of nature and culture and transformation processes in East Europe.