[oberlist] The Digital Review: Call for Proposals Issue 02 (2022)

darija medic needles.and.pinheads at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 22:47:35 CEST 2021

Dear all,

I'm happy to share the open call for the next edition of the digital review
<https://thedigitalreview.com/index.html> (2022). In this upcoming issue,
the editorial board is interested in expanding the scope of “born-digital”
and “performance.” Please consider submitting a proposal and share this
with your colleagues, students, and friends.

Deadline: December 3, 2021

Submissions <https://thedigitalreview.com/submissions.html>: Send to
lauraonsale [at] gmail [dot] com

If you have any questions and/or ideas you would like to discuss, please be
in touch.

>> CFP: tdr: “(digital) performance” (2022)

Issue Editor: Laura Hyunjhee Kim

Co-Editors: Darija Medić, Kevin Sweet, Brad Gallagher

The journal the digital review invites submissions for an issue on
“(digital) performance.” We are interested in born-digital arts and writing
that forefront performance as the primary mode for research-creation,
presentation, and dissemination.

The experience of digital works start with the performance of turning on an
electronic device. Clicking on and off, scrolling up and down, zooming in
and out, viewers perform choreographed gestures and actions prescribed by
the work and its computational environment. The reading and writing of
digital projects are constituted through a myriad of intra-active
performances, birthing new forms of vernacular and language that are
articulated through its operational condition. By means of doing,
performance as a temporal lens and experimental framework can surface and
reveal the indeterminate conditions of the “born-digital” as a tangible and
sensorial site of study. From corporeal to virtual and simulated
embodiments (ie. aliases, avatars, personas, algorithmically generated
texts and images), artists and writers contextually shapeshift and morph
their identities to perform research, trouble genres, and deliver artifacts
that transgress beyond the edges of the digital facade and screen.

This issue of tdr will take a creative approach to performance as a point
of cross-disciplinary convergence, and may encompass the following:
original artworks/writing that forefront performance in the research
process; creative projects that perform narrative, speculative, and/or
political interventions, digital resistance and refusal;
artists/writers/scholars reimagining creative scholarship by means of
doing; critical engagement with one or more creative approaches to
performance.

>> These categories may include or incorporate any of the following forms:

- digital essayism (see tdr issue 00)

- digital performance

- e-literature

- computational writing

- algorithmic imaginary

- speculative fabulation

- e-poetry

- poetic systems

- performance art

- performance writing

- embodied publishing

- social media art

- community / network generated digital works

- video games as a space of learning

- creative coding, applications or software

- radical digital (un)archives

- performance that cannot be inherently captured or challenges NFT
representation

- other forms of artwork or creative engagement

- other forms of “research-creation” or “practice-based research” (see tdr
issue: 01)

Collaborative submissions are welcome, including among scholars and
scholars, artists and artists, and scholars and artists. We encourage
submissions from women and non-binary people, visible minorities,
Indigenous people, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ persons.

Please note that all submissions meant for tdr must be either born-digital
(composed with and for digital media) or able to be adapted for digital
platforms.

>> Please submit abstracts of no more than 500 words.

>>  If submitting original creative work, please include:

- 3 — 5 images, and/or

- a video preview or overview, and/or

- a link to the work online

Submissions to lauraonsale [at] gmail [dot] com by Friday, December 3, 2021.

>> About the journal:

the digital review <https://thedigitalreview.com/index.html>, a sibling
online publication of the electronic book review
<https://electronicbookreview.com/>, is a new exciting journal that offers
a platform for “the preservation and publication of innovative,
born-digital essay-writing,” creative writing, and digital art. It pushes
the boundaries of traditional publication in order to account for creative
digital communication, including through multimodal and multimedia works
that incorporate code, audio, images, and video.