[Oberlist] AT* herbst Academy 2008: Strategies for avoiding misfortune

oberlist mailing list ober la emdash.org
Dum Iun 29 00:20:21 CEST 2008

herbst Academy 2008: Strategies for avoiding misfortune

Three workshops for students, artists, theorists and others

Where political philosophy, neurology and aesthetic theory astonishingly
all insist on dismissing conscious, controlled action and causal action as
naive, more and more people are nevertheless demanding the right to the
working hypothesis that, by acting, we can, if not find happiness, then at
least develop strategies for avoiding misfortune. Our rescue attempt
oscillates between pragmatism and utopia, and the modesty of the
formulation does not imply making do, but rather the pragmatic will not to
be held back by fundamental disputes concerning a far, far distant future.
So what new scenarios of social reality can we conceive? How can we change
our environment, even if we cannot really know whether it will be for the
better? What is the goal, what is the vision?
Strategies for avoiding misfortune, that is a cautious metaphor for the
consciously sceptical belief in the possibilities of action. Action
between image and deed, post-ironic but not unironic, active but not
activistic. A Kantian duty without the protestant seriousness, pathos as
an everyday reality.
Such strategies focus on a productive attitude that does not abandon the
power of a utopia but nevertheless bears aspects of feasibility in mind.
There is an action between pragmatism and utopia that shapes our everyday
life, that creates public spheres and sometimes saves the world a bit.
The search for and questioning of possible strategies for avoiding
misfortune is the connection between the events of herbst Aacademy 2008.
In this context three workshops for twenty young, international artists
and theorists will form a kind of backbone of the festival and follow in
terms of their focus these underlying thoughts.

mai multe detalii aici:
http://www.steirischerherbst.at/2008/english/micro/ausschreibung.php