[Oberlist] UK* Radiator Festival - Calling for Artists

oberlist mailing list ober la emdash.org
Dum Noi 2 04:17:27 CET 2008

Subject: [curatorial.net] Radiator Festival - Calling for Artists
From:    Anette Schäfer <anette la trampoline-berlin.de>
Date:    Tue, October 28, 2008 21:19
To:      "Trampoline UK Info" <info la trampoline.org.uk>

CALL FOR ARTISTS

RADIATOR: Going Underground *
* Sousveillance - the counterpart to surveillance, where the ‘observed’
turns around, to face and watch the ‘observer’, recording the observers
actions and movements.

Radiator Festival & Symposium
Part of the Performing Space series
Nottingham 13th - 18th of Jan 2009

WHEN AND WHERE
January 2009 in Nottingham, Derby and Leicester, East Midlands, UK

WHAT IT IS
Even as we enter a period of recession, there may be yet a glimmer of hope.
Are we facing an about turn from the last 30 years of Milton Friedman
inspired economics that has left our cities wastelands of corporate
monoculture?  If so, there are still a few questions left unanswered

In an era when the phrase “affects a conservation area” has been no obstacle
to the planning application for a shopping centre housing solely global
brands; when 12 million pounds has been spent in the East Midlands for
extending CCTV systems that have miserable figures for reducing crime; when
urban regeneration means the extension of the corporate high street to the
exclusion of independent, local communities; when half of the entire UK
population now shops in barely 1000 giant superstores
.

Where do we go for explanations?

Why are our everyday movements constantly monitored and the details of our
lives banked?

How is where we live a reflection of our wants, desires and taxes or the
interests of powerful outside forces?

Who are the self proclaimed guardians that watch over us in our cities and
who are the gatekeepers to Fortress Britain?

To unpick these questions and more, Radiator will place 5 artists at the
urban coalface - the offices and backrooms of companies and institutions -
where the fates of our city spaces are stamped and sealed.

Architects, planning departments, telemarketeers, city council offices,
surveillance and monitoring centres – just some of the types of agencies we
want our artists to infiltrate as sleeper agents, biding their time in
observation, gathering information, doing work for the agency and for us.

During this time we expect our artist agents to file daily copy, to write
blogs, to post pictures and draw thought maps and to eventually give a
thorough account of their activities and their discoveries at a debriefing
meeting, otherwise known as the Radiator Symposium on Performing Space that
will take place this Autumn 08 in partnership with Nottingham Trent
University.

WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for proposals from artists and practitioners outlining ideas
for covert research into the effect of everyday business and government on
the technologies and architecture that shape our cities and working day
environments.

Included in the proposal should be details of how these findings obtained
could be exhibited to the public.

WHAT WE OFFER

- We offer a research stipend of £1200 plus production expenses towards
exhibition

- Exhibition during the Radiator Festival in the East Midlands

- A position in the Radiator Symposium on Performing Space at Broadway

- A chance to develop work further for touring internationally in 2009

WHAT WE REQUIRE

- A proposal, which shouldn’t be more than 2 sides of A4 (excluding biogs,
CVs etc) which includes details of:

> Organisation, institution, department or company your residency or
research will be with

> What question, approach or method you plan to use as the axis of your
research

> Details of how your research might be collected, collated and exhibited
including budget.

- A biography and/ or CV of past and current work

- Visual material on DVD or CDROM or internet

- a filled in submissions form (page 3)

DEADLINE: Fri 14th Nov 08

To download the submissions form please go to

http://www.radiator-festival.org/content/news.php?id_artist=63

www.trampoline.org.uk <http://www.trampoline.org.uk/>

www.radiator-festival.org <http://www.radiator-festival.org/>

www.trampoline-berlin.de <http://www.trampoline-berlin.de/>

A Trampoline project with financial support by Arts Council England