[Oberlist] CA* Call for Submissions : 2009 Subtle Technologies Festival "networks"

oberlist mailing list ober la emdash.org
Dum Noi 16 04:32:03 CET 2008

Subject: [Rezone] Call for Submissions : 2009 Subtle Technologies Festival
"networks"
From:    "Linda" <chetri la gmail.com>
Date:    Fri, November 14, 2008 17:13
To:      rezone la lists.rixc.lv

Aicinajums maksliniekiem pieteikties XII kulturas un
starpdisciplinarajam festivalam Subtle Technologies Festival, kas
norisinasies no 2009. gada 11. junija lidz 14. junijam Toronto un kura
tiks aplukota tiklu tema.

Pieteiksanas iespejama lidz 2009.g. 5. janvarim.

Vairak info:  http://www.subtletechnologies.com

.------------------------------------------------

 Call for Submissions 2009 Subtle Technologies Festival
 Deadline January 5th 2009

 The 2009 Subtle Technologies Festival in Toronto is currently seeking
submissions
 for it's 12th annual festival under the theme of "networks" . The
festival takes
 place in Toronto from June 11 to June 14th . As in previous years, the
 2009 festival will explore it's theme from a broad cultural and
 interdisciplinary perspective.

 We live in an increasingly connected age, where flow of capital,
 material goods, people and information occur on a global scale in
 ever-shortening timescales. This increased flow is accompanied by
 pollution,contamination, infectious diseases and the rapid dissemination
 of ideas and economies. Metaphors of connectivity in information
 technology have matured and found resonance in art, science, and society
 at large. The availability of massive amounts of data supported by
 increased computing power and the rapidity of its propagation, has made
 the idea of interconnectedness more visible to us all. Science has made
 great strides in helping us to understand the connected age. The so
 called "small world problem" has revealed the ways networks of people
 form and become interconnected. Studies of oscillators, insects, heart
 cells, epilepsy, and crowds has shown us the natural affinity for
 various networks and systems to synchronize and self organize.The
 creation of new computer architectures based on biological networks has
 brought artificial intelligence ever closer to natural intelligence.

 With the proliferation of online social networks, Web 2.0 applications
 such as Facebook, Twitter and Second Life have blurred the boundaries
 between public and private, virtual and real. Web 3.0 and the "internet
 of things", where common household objects will become interconnected,
 will be one of the next major advances in digital networking. Increased
 bandwidth has made it possible for media artists to collaborate in
 online real time networked performances. "Network lag" is slowly
 disappearing from our vocabulary as our accessibility to bandwidth
 improves. It is time to critically discuss the network metaphor and how
 it affects the direction of various disciplines and our societies at
 large. Under this theme, we will be curating a symposium, exhibition,
 workshops and performances. Some specific topics which we will address
 at this years festival include:

      * net art
      * networked performance
      * biological networks
      * wireless networks
      * social networking
      * communication, transportation and economic networks
      * virtual worlds
      * systems theory
      * community networks
      * network theory
      * collaborative and open source initiatives
      * online culture
      * "small world problem" and mathematical models
      * genetic networks
      * To make a submission for exhibitions, symposium presentations,
        workshops, performances and poster presentations please go to
        http://www.subtletechnologies.com

 --
 Jim Ruxton
 Festival Director