[Oberlist] Artists Announced for ANTIFREEZE 2009

Contents May Vary info at contentsmayvary.org
Mon Jun 22 19:00:03 CEST 2009

*ANTIFREEZE 2009*

Already voted the 6th best thing to do this summer by The Times Online
and it hasn't even happened yet!

Contents May Vary are hosting Manchester's very first art car boot fair
on Saturday 4th of July 2009 with over 60 artists and artist-led groups,
projects, galleries and publishers showcasing site responsive
installations, performances, video installations, zine stalls and
temporary gallery sites. The event is part of Trade City at the CHIPS
building in Manchester City Centre and will be coinciding with the
Manchester International Festival.

*Saturday 4th July 2009, 12-7pm, **free entry.
**
CHIPS Building, 2 Lampwick Lane, New Islington, Manchester, M4 6BU*

ANTIFREEZE is an exhibition about the high-end art market delivered
within the format of low-end trade. It is the grass-roots answer to
hugely commercial art fairs allowing independent and non-commercial
practitioners to explore ideas of value, exchange and independence with
artists and artist-led organisations responding to the physical, social,
economical, geographical and literal situation.

Manchester's first art car boot fair will be a stroll through the
embodied thoughts of over 60 artists from across the UK and beyond, who
through no fault of their own have been put in a place beneath and above
many others in the art industry. We have given them a platform to vent
their airs and graces and woes and praises, present their skills and
collections, to succeed and fail, to make money and lose faith, to spend
hours in traffic getting here and minutes setting up their work without
our help so people they don't know can spend seconds judging them on it.

_*Participating artists:*_

*100th Monkey
Airspace Gallery
Richard Aldred
Stephen Ashdown, Frances Blythe, Antony Clarkson, Siân Green, Naomi
Lethbridge
Beth Barlow
Bearspace: Isabel Rock
Samantha Bell
Richard Birdseed and Dan Blacklodge
Black Dogs
Sophie Bower
Alice Bradshaw
Megan Broadmeadow
Camp Yellow: Mike Redmond, Faye Johnson and Lisa Handley
Elena Cassidy Smith, Mitra Memarzia and Bec Garland
Cheap Magazine
Ben Connell
Joe Duffy
Eagle and Feather (AKA Julian Lloyd Butler & Stephen Earl Rogers)
Exhibit X
Micheal Farquar
Sue Fox
FRUNT
Gerth Gratrix
Anton Harding
Annie Harrison and Jane Lawson
Marielle Hehir
Adam Higman and Tim Sargent
Intercity Mainline
Hilary Jack
Gwen Jones
Helen Kaplinsky
Magdalena Natalia Kwiatkowska
Alison Kershaw
L-13: Harry Adams, James Caouty, Billy Childish, James Reid
Felicity Langthorne, Alison Stockwell, Hannah Marsden, Claire Rowlands,
Steven Walker and Laura Kirby
Jude Macpherson
Alexis Milne
Mirror Mirror
Liz Murphy
New Curiosity Shop
Caron Ottewell and Victoria Foster
Julia Peat with assistance from Cargos casual team member Jayne Seddon
Delphine Perrot
Platform58
Pool Arts: Annette Ebanks, Trae England, Tess Lomas, Colin Nixon, Eddie
Price, Siobhan Samuels, Nicola Smith, David Speer
Adam Renshaw
Nick Rhodes
Sophie Rogers
Chiz Turnross
Richard Shields
Lucy May Scofield
Shufflebottom
Sketch City
Emily Smallwood
Anna Stogdon
Jared Szpakowski
Joyce Wan
Tom Watson
Olivia Williams
YES IT IS: Anna Beam, Lora Avedian, Laura Gee, Georgina Sullivan
Yorkshire Sculptors Group*

http://antifreeze2009.blogspot.com

*About Contents May Vary:*
Contents May Vary show collectively as well as individually and also
organize large-scale exhibitions inviting other artists to participate.
We find new and challenging ways to exhibit with particular focus on
site-responsivitey to non-conventional and everyday spaces.
Additionally, we run an independent free-of-charge publication with
international distribution.

We may not be the first artist collective formed in Manchester but in
2009 we are the only one that matters. A legacy has been created since
our inception with astounding effects on our peers, tutors and the
excess of artists we have created a platform for.

Now CMV is coming into an age of expertise not only in the production of
shows but also as veterans of the site specific as we take Manchester as
inspiration in our ever evolving and improving ethos.

Our work incorporates visceral splendor within the many disciplines we
employ and we choose to place work amidst the everyday, negating the
often too prevalent fear of walking into a clinical gallery space. We
create immediate connections with the spectator through the syntax of a
common environment. CMV puts art under Manchester's dirty, wet shoes.

Our openings and events create a social platform bringing artists and
viewers together from across the social spectrum to the best effect
witnessed in Manchester. We're self-perpetuating, we're DIY, we're the A
team of art, we're an outlaw's horse, we believe our own hype. No one
could do what we do as well as we do it.

Contents May Vary are shortlisted for the Best of Manchester 2009 Awards
and will be exhibiting at Urbis 24th July - 20th September 2009. The
winner will be announced 23rd July 2009.

Contents May Vary is co-directed by Alice Bradshaw, Liz Murphy and
Richard Shields

http://www.contentsmayvary.org/
*
About Trade City:* Centred on the notion of trade pursued as a
livelihood, this exhibition reflects the trading that has taken place
between the artists and curators making up 13 independent, citywide, art
initiatives. This alternative economy draws reference from and plays off
the city's pioneering economic heritage. Through Trade City,
Contemporary Art Manchester proposes an innovative approach to
displaying the social transactions of contemporary art at this moment.

*About Contemporary Art Manchester: *The partners within CAM consortium
are unified in their role to programme artists' work, through diverse
and innovative curatorial frameworks including exhibition, screening and
publication formats. Current partners of CAM include twenty+3 projects,
100th Monkey, Bureau, Castlefield Gallery, Contents May Vary, Edmundson
& Quaife, Exocet, FutureEverything, Gymnasium, Interval, Islington Mill
Art Academy, Harfleet and Jack, Salford Restoration Office and Rogue
Project Space.

http://www.contemporaryartmanchester.org/

Trade City is supported by Arts Council England