[Oberlist] Fwd: School of Visual Arts MFA Social Documentary Film: Call for Applications

stefan rusu suhebator at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 04:01:01 CEST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Art&Education <edu-news la mailer.e-flux.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 4:07 AM
Subject: School of Visual Arts MFA Social Documentary Film: Call for
Applications
To: suhebator la gmail.com

   September 23, 2009  [image: Art and Education]<http://artandeducation.net/>
  <http://www.mfasocdoc.sva.edu>   School of Visual Arts School of Visual
Arts MFA Social Documentary Film: Call for Applications *MFA Social
Documentary
Film program

Currently Accepting Applications
For Fall 2010

Information Session on
October 24th*

For more information about our faculty, facilities and courses, please
contact us:
Tel: 212.592.2919
Fax: 212.627.2528
E: mfasocdoc la sva.edu
http://www.mfasocdoc.sva.edu
209 E 23rd St.
New York, NY 10010
  Share this announcement on:
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fartandeducation.net%2Fannouncements%2Fview%2F818&t=School+of+Visual+Arts+MFA+Social+Documentary+Film%3A+Call+for+Applications>|
Delicious<http://delicious.com/save?url=http%3A%2F%2Fartandeducation.net%2Fannouncements%2Fview%2F818&title=School+of+Visual+Arts+MFA+Social+Documentary+Film%3A+Call+for+Applications&tags=art&v=4&noui=&share=yes&jump=close>|
Digg<http://digg.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fartandeducation.net%2Fannouncements%2Fview%2F818&title=School+of+Visual+Arts+MFA+Social+Documentary+Film%3A+Call+for+Applications>|
Twitter<http://twitter.com/home?status=Currently%20reading%20http%3A%2F%2Fartandeducation.net%2Fannouncements%2Fview%2F818>|
*MISSION*
Documentary films have helped shape our history and, more importantly, the
stories we tell about ourselves. This program guides and supports emerging
artists to fully explore the social documentary film form and, in so doing,
to find innovative ways to examine and communicate the core experiences that
define us. With the advent of digital filmmaking, the Internet and social
networking, as well as the technologies available in camera, sound and
editing—the potential to make films, and share them with an audience, has
become accessible to almost everyone. However, the artistry of storytelling
and the trained ability to make successful creative decisions can be
elusive.

Our MFA in Social Documentary Film gives students the opportunity to learn
how to find and capture important stories that speak to a varied audience on
subjects of public concern, within a social, political and cultural
consciousness that can change how we view our world. The program is a
hands-on and highly innovative pursuit designed to foster a vibrant agora of
creative media that generates both social and aesthetic influence. Working
directly with some of the most relevant and inventive nonfiction
storytellers and visual journalists in the field today— as faculty, mentors
and collaborators—students will gain the creative and technical experience
to work in both the film and broadcast industries.

Upon completion of their studies students will be equipped with the tools
that both enable and support individual expression, while fostering
filmmakers who are artistically, technologically, socially and critically
fluent.

- Maro Chermayeff, DEPARTMENT CHAIR

*THE PROGRAM*
The School of Visual Arts’ MFA program in documentary filmmaking provides a
solid foundation in the fundamentals of nonfiction filmmaking, as well as an
immersion into the critical and analytical processes necessary to
conceptualize and develop significant, socially relevant film projects. This
program represents the convergence of journalism, social activism and the
art of filmmaking.

Within the broad spectrum, a documentary film can be personal,
revolutionary, engaging, funny, political and more; simply put, social
documentary films tell us more about ourselves and the world we inhabit.
Working with documentarians at the top of their field as teachers and
mentors in a collaborative think-tank environment, the MFA Documentary Film
program at SVA will not only teach students how to tell a story; it will
guide them towards lifelong careers in filmmaking.

The first year of study offers a core curriculum devoted to exploring the
past, present and future of the art of documentary film while mastering
tools and techniques needed to tell compelling stories. In the first year
each student will complete two documentary shorts. During the entire second
year the student focuses on their thesis film, and courses are designed to
support them in their production. Each student will direct and edit his or
her own thesis film and serve as a key production crewmember on at least one
other thesis project.

*FACULTY*
Core courses in directing, producing, editing, visionary journalism,
cinematography and sound will be taught by some of the most significant
filmmakers in documentary today. Additionally, a weekly Process & Style
screening and lecture series will welcome yet more voices from the field.
Visit http://www.mfasocdoc.sva.edu for a full list of faculty and guest
lecturers.

*FACILITY*
The MFA Social Documentary Film program moved into its brand new department
home in summer 2009 – in time to welcome its inaugural class in September
2009.
The department is located in the heart of Manhattan on 21st Street and 6th
Avenue, and houses an HD theater, two additional classrooms/work rooms,
state of the art editing suites, a film and text library and voice over
recording room. In addition to the department space, each student has access
to the latest HD video cameras, lighting and sound equipment.

*ADMISSION
An information session for potential students is being held on October 24,
2009 in our beautiful new facility in Manhattan (21st and 6th Ave). Visit
http://www.mfasocdoc.sva.edu to register for the event.*

Early Decision Application Deadline: January 15, 2010
Department website: http://www.mfasocdoc.sva.edu
E-mail: mfasocdoc la sva.edu   [image: Art and
Education]<http://artandeducation.net/>
News <http://artandeducation.net/updates>
Announcements<http://artandeducation.net/announcements>
Papers <http://artandeducation.net/papers/view/latest>