[Oberlist] NL* call/vid: Europa Neurotisch # 2

Sun Oct 25 00:03:00 CEST 2009

Subject: Artinfo Digest, Vol 10, Issue 16
From:    artinfo-request la lists.c3.hu
Date:    Fri, October 23, 2009 13:00
To:      artinfo la lists.c3.hu

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 12:19:07 +0200
From: Gerben Kruk <info la petersburgprojectspace.org>
Subject: [artinfo] Europa Neurotisch # 2,	Call for single channel video
works.

Deadline for application is 10 November 2009
Open to single channel video works.
Exhibition dates: 14 November till 12 December 2009, Amsterdam,
Netherlands.

OPEN CALL:
Europa Neurotisch # 2

Europa Neurotisch is the second part of the Petersburg Project Space
excursion into Europe. The first part was held in November 2008, and
was based on the question how do artist react to, and deal with the
concept Europe. For the second part we would like to raise the
question: what is the image of Europe? How does it look? How do
artists visually deal with the continent they live in, or look at from
the outside?

What almost first comes to mind when thinking of images representing
Europe are maps and charts; a google image search for Europe seems to
confirm this. However in a search for America or Asia the results of
images that in some way visually represent those continents come up
quite quickly. But is there a something like a European consciousness?

In a speech delivered by German filmmaker Wim Wenders in 2006 he
addressed this quite strongly; he argued that the American dream is a
dream built up by images, and that ?a vision has to be attached to
feelings, to places, to memories?. So what then you could wonder is
the European dream?
Maybe Mr Wenders is right when he says: ?Europe, now you see it, now
you don?t?

Since the show is not intended as a political argument or statement in
any way, but more as an exploration of a European image or maybe even
the European dream or nightmare the works we are looking for are
diverse, from personal political to audiovisual snippets: as long as
it deals in some way with the European heart and soul we are interested.

Every week a new series of works will be screened in the exhibition
space in the evening: Bar Europa. The idea behind this is to
deformalize the exhibition space, and to deconstruct any static
presence of the subject itself: Europa.

This call is open to individual artists, as well as collectives.
There is no restriction to length of the works or date created,
however we only accept single channel videoworks.

More information about Petersburg Project Space:
http://petersburgprojectspace.org/