[Oberlist] ES* call/sound: Zeppelin 2009 - Festival of Sound Projects
oberlist mailing list
ober at emdash.org
Tue Nov 10 17:33:05 CET 2009
Zeppelin 2009 - Festival of Sound Projects Call for submissions
Zeppelin 2009 - Sounds of Power / Listening to Fear is dedicated to
thinking about issues that have been insidiously encircling us for some
time. We are concerned about signs that might suggest were going
backwards in terms of hard-won social and intellectual achievements and
freedoms. This concern led us to pose the following series of questions,
which we hope will go some way to inspiring the pieces presented:
1. What does it mean to receive and/or give an order?
2. The verbs obey and hear are known to be closely linked. How, then,
should we view a society that appears increasingly ready to obey without
stopping to think? What link is there between obeying and believing?
3. Why do we have a need for absolute truths, even where we know its
impossible? Why do we think we already know everything? Do we need to
learn techniques or not? Why do we think anyone can do anything? Shouldnt
we respect the ability to do things? To what extent is the term art
relevant or not?
4. In what sense have we moved from alienation at work to alienation in
every, or almost every, sphere in life? Are we losing our awareness of
5. What does it mean to talk about control in the name of security? Dont
we feel safe? Why do we allow things to be done in the name of democracy
that wed condemn in a dictatorship?
6. Does a welfare society mean a growth society? (Cage said: I dont know
if life is characterised by progress.) Why do we think we live in the
best of worlds?
7. What role or roles do sounds play in a welfare society and a growth
society? Are they related to a loss of privacy? To what extent have
neighbours become a new system of control in the hands of the state?
8. How do we view the fact that our instruments for organising sounds are
linked to instruments designed to control? Is there a relationship between
organising and controlling?
9. At a time when words are being chipped away at until they have a new
meaning set down by law, and people who disagree with the criteria of
others risk being branded as intolerant, how can we unmask this warped
language without discrediting things further?
We invite people interested in sound to think about these questions and
send us their sound works.
The pieces will be played through a system of eight loudspeakers on 10, 11
and 12 December 2009 at the Barcelona Centre for Contemporary Culture.
Terms and Conditions
All works received will be accepted provided they meet the following
1. Pieces should be no longer than ten (10) minutes.
2. The format for the pieces should be WAV or AIFF at 44.1 kHz and 16
bits. Pieces may have up to eight tracks. Each track should be in a
separate file (so a piece with eight tracks should have eight files each
containing a single track).
3. The following documentation should be included:
3.1. Comments on the piece.
3.2. An artistic biography of the author.
3.3. A document signed by the author either giving or refusing explicit
authorisation for the piece to be posted on the internet.
3.4. A document signed by the author giving authorisation for the piece to
form part of the Sonoscop sound art archive.
4. The pieces and documentation should be sent on a CD/DVD by 15 November
Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona
For more information:
caos la sonoscop.net
Moldova Young Artists Association "Oberliht"
. . . . . . . . . . .
portal informational pentru arta si cultura din Moldova
information gateway for arts and culture from Moldova
More information about the oberlist