[Oberlist] Conference: Being in Europe: Crisis? What Crisis? 28th – 29th January 2010

nini palavandishvili designini at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 19:15:14 CET 2010

The Heinrich-Boell-Foundation Brandenburg in collaboration with Space
Gallery Bratislava kindly

invites you to the conference

**

*Being in Europe: Crisis? What Crisis?*

**

*Conference 28**th **– 29**th **January 2010*

*Space Gallery*

*Velehradska 7/A*

*Bratislava*

*Slovak Republic*

*http://www.atlantisprojects.eu/*

*eliska.mazalanova at crazycurators.org* <%22mailto:>

**

The conference “Being Europe: Crisis? What Crisis?” opens up new vistas on
Europe 20 years after the fall of the Iron Curtain. Under the designation
“Crisis? What crisis?” we bring into focus various perspectives on European
changes in the last 20 years and the current crises. The title – taken from
a cover of Supertramp´s LP from 1975 – can ironically be interpreted in
diverse ways. For example as a synonym for a non-existing crisis or an
attempt to disavow the existence of crises. It also describes the crucial
questions for this conference: Are we really having a crisis? Are we even
confronted with different crises? Or do we deny their existence and
profoundness? What can we do to solve possible crises? 20 years have passed
since the Velvet Revolution. Since then a globalized economy within a free
society of politically responsible citizens seems to have grown. In these
years societies in Europe came into transformation, new democratic systems
have emerged and social reforms have passed. The European Union has
fundamentally changed. At the same time it faces several crises. Some of
them seem to be obvious. First of all a deep economic crisis. And also the
crisis of climate change and energy resources which affect not only Europe
but the whole world. But what about European culture and art? What about the
crisis of the art market and the lack of support of culture and art in the
new member states of the European Union? And do we also have a crisis of the
democratic system? Sure enough democratic governmental institutions do not
work efficiently in many member states of the European Union. The current
constitution of democratic systems in European countries is confronted with
a loss of political impetus. Public discussions of political issues seem to
get less important. Most decisions are taken by only a few opinion leaders
in national or supranational parliaments and governments. The level of
participation of the citizens is low, their involvement in the process of
decision-making weak. Nevertheless, political decisions taken today in times
of crises will be eminently important for the future shape of our political,
economical, cultural and ecological system. What Europe decides these days
touches its being and the every day live of millions of people. Again:
Crisis? What Crisis?

**

*Programme*

**

*Thursday, 28th January 2010*

**

*19.30 Opening*

*Juraj Carny *(art critic, curator, gallerist. Space projects | Residency
lab | store;

Bratislava)

*Inka Thunecke *(director Heinrich-Boell-Foundation Brandenburg; Potsdam
Germany)

*20.00 Challenge of multiple crisis*

*Prof. Ulrich Brand *(Institute for Political Science, University of Vienna)

**

*20.45 Crisis of the economy*

*Prof. Joachim Becker *(Institute for International Economics and
Development, Vienna

University of Economics and Business)

**

*Discussion*

**

*22.00 Art Performance *

*Jana Kapelova *(to be confirmed)

**

**

**

*Friday, 29th January 2010*

**

*9.30 Challenges and crisis of democracy*

*Prof. Oliver Marchart *(Department of Sociology, University of Lucerne)

**

*Discussion*

**

*11.30 Crisis of the institutions*

*Isolde Charim *(philosopher and publicist, assistant lecturer University of
Vienna)

*Marek Adamov *(director of Stanica cultural space; Žilina)

**

*Discussion*

**

*13.30 Break*

**

*14.30 Art – no Crisis?*

*Ruth Noack *(author and curator)

*Jakob Racek *(cultural manager and curator, Art Today Association - Center
for

Contemporary Art; Plovdiv Bulgaria)

*Juraj Carny *(art critic, curator, gallery owner. Space projects |
Residency lab | store; Bratislava)

*Emil Mirazchiev *(artist and director of Art Today Association - Center for
Contemporary Art; Plovdiv Bulgaria)

*Nini Palavandishvili *(curator and member of GeoAIR, Tbilisi Georgia)

**

*16.00 Discussion and Final Comments*

**

*Moderation Natalia Urblikova
*(cultural<http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=5tY9AA&search=cultural>
scientist <http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=5tY9AA&search=scientist>)

Please *register *for the conference via mail at *
eliska.mazalanova at crazycurators.org*

**

**
*