[Oberlist] Fwd: CFP: The Task of the Curator (Santa Cruz, 14 May 10)

stefan rusu suhebator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:37:31 CET 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: H-ArtHist (Caroline Philipp) <philipp la arthist.net>
Date: Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM
Subject: CFP: The Task of the Curator (Santa Cruz, 14 May 10)
To: H-ARTHIST la h-net.msu.edu

From:   "Museum & Curatorial Studies, UCSC" <macs la ucsc.edu>
Date:    01 Feb 2010 15:46:57 -0800
Subject: CFP: The Task of the Curator (DEADLINE 2/5/2010)

CALL FOR PAPERS
ACADEMIC CONFERENCE: FRIDAY, MAY 14 2010
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SANTA CRUZ

THE TASK OF THE CURATOR:
TRANSLATION, INTERVENTION, AND INNOVATION IN EXHIBITIONARY
PRACTICE

Museum and Curatorial Studies (MACS) at UC-Santa Cruz brings together museum
professionals and scholars from a variety of disciplines to study the
poetics and politics of display. This year we are hosting a number of events
related to the 2009-2010 research theme, "Critical Curations." We are
pleased to welcome Griselda Pollock, Irit Rogoff, and Carolina Ponce de León
for our annual Speaker Series. For more information about our organization
and events, please visit:
http://macs.ucsc.edu/

On May 14, 2010, our year of collaboration will culminate with a conference
open to scholars from around the world. "The Task of the Curator" will
explore the roles of curators in relation to how objects are displayed in
museums and galleries, considering a variety of disciplinary and
professional perspectives. The title, inspired by Walter Benjamin's theories
of translation, brings attention to the often overlooked or naturalized
labor of curators, which involves subtle but nonetheless transformative acts
of framing and poetic interpretation. Presenters are encouraged to "look
outside of the white box" toward new and alternative display methods.
Proposals are due on February 5th, 2010 (instructions below).

A PDF of our CFP and updated information can be found at:
http://macs.ucsc.edu/conferences.html

CONFIRMED PARTICIPANTS

Keynote Speaker:
MARY NOOTER ROBERTS
World Arts & Cultures, UCLA

Panel Moderators:
JAMES CLIFFORD
History of Consciousness, UCSC

JENNIFER GONZÁLEZ
History of Art & Visual Culture, UCSC

SHANNON JACKSON
Performance Studies & Rhetoric, UC-Berkeley

BETTI-SUE HERTZ
Visual Arts, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts

Opening Remarks:
LUCIAN GOMOLL
History of Consciousness, UCSC

Closing Remarks:
LISSETTE OLIVARES
History of Consciousness, UCSC

SUBMISSIONS:
Please send the following documents by Friday, February 5, 2010 via e-mail
to: macs la ucsc.edu
* 350-500 word abstract
* Curriculum Vitae

We welcome and encourage early submissions. Papers will be accepted on an
ongoing basis until the deadline. Final Drafts will be due Friday, April 23,
2010 to macs la ucsc.edu

POSSIBLE TOPICS:
* Artist as Curator; Curator as Artist
* Exhibition as Translation
* Critical Histories of the Curator & Curatorial Practices
* Contemporary Approaches to the Art/artifact Debate
* Feminist/Queer Curating
* Radical Curating, Curatorial Interventions
* Marxist Museology, Archival Anarchy
* Curating Performance and/or Performance Art
* Para-Sites: Exhibiting in Alternative Spaces
* New Media & Display Practices
* Disciplining Objects in Museums & Galleries
* Comparative Studies of Exhibitions
* Strategies for Relaying Trauma in Museums & Galleries
* New Approaches to the Archives
* Collaboration and/or Curatorial Collectives
* Producing Virtual Collections & Displays
* Curating and Authorship
* Reflections on Biennale Projects
* Outsider Exhibition Proposals
* Dramaturgy of Display, Experience-Driven Practices
* Addressing Visitors, Imaginary Publics, Engaging Feedback
* Curatorial Mistakes
* Exhibitions & Pedagogy

This event is co-sponsored by The Center for Cultural
Studies and the History of Consciousness Department at
UC-Santa Cruz.

--------------
Lucian Gomoll
Director, Museum and Curatorial Studies
415 Humanities One
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
macs la ucsc.edu

H-ARTHIST
Humanities-Net Discussion List for Art History
E-Mail-Liste fuer Kunstgeschichte im H-Net

Editorial Board Contact Address / Fragen an die Redaktion:
hah-redaktion la h-net.msu.edu

Submit contributions to / Beitraege bitte an:
h-arthist la h-net.msu.edu

Homepage: http://www.arthist.net