[Oberlist] Fw: [im] Release Ai Weiwei - join Guggenheim’s petition!

t. a. anedtwo at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 23:35:46 CEST 2011

--- On Tue, 4/12/11, Miklos Peternak <peternak at c3.hu> wrote:

From: Miklos Peternak <peternak at c3.hu>
Subject: [im] Release Ai Weiwei - join Guggenheim’s petition!
To: "im" <intermedia-l at c3.hu>
Date: Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 11:05 PM

Release Ai
Weiwei
- join
Guggenheim’s petition!

To the
world’s art circles,
I’ll summon you to join Guggenheim’s petition
to protest against the arrest of Chinese artist Ai Weiwei. We can put a
poignant and impressive statement if the art circles of the world make
common effort demanding the release of Ai Weiwei.
Please
further this request.
Best regards,
Jens Galschiot, sculptor, Denmark, 12 April 2011

Link to Guggenheim’s petition:
http://www.change.org/petitions/call-for-the-release-of-ai-weiwei#?opt_new=f&opt_fb=t

This press
release can be downloaded at http://www.aidoh.dk/Ai-Weiwei

Statement by Jens Galschiot, 8 April 2011
Release Ai Weiwei!
On Sunday 3rd April the renowned artist Ai
Weiwei was arrested by Chinese police. Attempts to contact the artist have been in vain and
the Chinese authorities deny any comment on the issue. Allegedly some
sort of financial crime is the core of the issue. This accusation is
dubious and can be used for anything.
Danish artist Jens Galschiot has on two occasions been
denied entry to Hong Kong as a result of his artistic commitment in co-operation
with the Democracy Movement. He has a permanent ban for entering China.
On the occasion of Ai Weiwei’s arrest he declares:

“I energetically condemn the arrest of Ai Weiwei. He
is one of the world’s most prominent artists, he makes outstanding
artworks, and lately he has made a comprehensive exhibition at Tate
Modern. All these activities highlight the fact that China has become
an important part of the international art scene. Ai Weiwei stands as a
prominent representative of the Chinese people, promising for the
future.
I am deeply concerned that China now once again has
displayed its totalitarian face to the world and once again has committed an encroachment on its own
citizens. This shameful act reveals that China still has a long way to
go before it can be regarded a state based on the rule of law
protecting its citizens against arbitrary abuse of power.
I urge all artists of the world to express their protest
against the detention of Ai Weiwei. The Guggenheim museum has launched a petition. Visit the homepage and join the
petition.
Likewise I request the Danish government and all
democratic governments to condemn the arrest. This abuse should not go
unheeded, especially as China has become one of the most important
trading partners of the West. Therefore we have a special obligation to
express our concern.
In particular I summon the governments of Hong Kong and Taiwan
to protest. These two entities with Chinese population enjoying
free speech have a special obligation to express their disapproval of
an infringement committed by Mainland China. Maybe the Chinese
government will be more sensitive to criticism from their own
compatriots”, Jens Galschiot concludes.

General INFO
Guggenheim’s petition:
http://www.change.org/petitions/call-for-the-release-of-ai-weiwei#?opt_new=f&opt_fb=t

The artist has uploaded comprehensive documentation about China on his homepage, see
http://www.aidoh.dk/China-activities
About the detention, see
http://www.aidoh.dk/Ai-Weiwei
Contact/info/photos on Jens Galschiot: www.aidoh.dk, e-mail aidoh at aidoh.dk

Tel. +45 6618 4058, mobile +45 4044 7058
www.facebook.com/galschiot.official  and http://www.twitter.com/galschiot
Newsletter: subscribe at aidoh at aidoh.dk