[Oberlist] Fwd: La Practica: Call for Applications

stefan rusu suhebator at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 11:38:14 CET 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Art&Education <edu-news at mailer.e-flux.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:14 PM
Subject: La Practica: Call for Applications
To: suhebator at gmail.com

   February 10, 2011  [image: Art and Education]<http://artandeducation.net/>
  <http://www.betalocal.org%E2%80%A8>   Beta-Local La Practica: Call for
Applications *Application deadline:* May 1st, 2011

*Beta-Local*
208 Calle Luna esquina San Justo
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00901

http://www.betalocal.org
   Share this announcement on:
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fartandeducation.net%2Fannouncements%2Fview%2F1531&t=La+Practica%3A+Call+for+Applications>|
Delicious<http://delicious.com/save?url=http%3A%2F%2Fartandeducation.net%2Fannouncements%2Fview%2F1531&title=La+Practica%3A+Call+for+Applications&tags=art&v=4&noui=&share=yes&jump=close>|
Digg<http://digg.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fartandeducation.net%2Fannouncements%2Fview%2F1531&title=La+Practica%3A+Call+for+Applications>|
Twitter<http://twitter.com/home?status=Currently%20reading%20http%3A%2F%2Fartandeducation.net%2Fannouncements%2Fview%2F1531>|
*La Práctica* is an experimental study and production program for
individuals coming from an art, design, architecture background, or from a
related field. The program is aimed at people who are interested in thinking
through the work itself and who are critically engaged with the here and
now. There is a strong emphasis on production and collaboration. La Práctica
is specifically designed for those interested in creating new conditions,
relations and positions that will allow them to work in other contexts, not
necessarily the established art circuit, and who, because of the
particularities of a place’s adverse conditions or a lack of well
functioning professional art structure support, have the need to create
their own practice and space. Visiting artists, program directors, program
peers and workshops give shape to each year's program. La Práctica is
flexible enough to sustain the kind of organic relationships that we hope
take place between participant s and visitors to Beta-Local from many
fields.

*Beta-Local*

La Práctica is one of Beta-Local's programs. Beta-Local is an independent
organization in San Juan, Puerto Rico founded in February 2010. Beta-Local
fundraises for its programs through the general public, private foundations,
and individual donations, from 10 USD dinners to larger grants. Beta-Local
was founded by Tony Cruz, Beatriz Santiago Muñoz and Michy Marxuach, who are
its current directors.

*As we are a new organization, Beta-Local receives no government support,
and has no institutional affiliations. We do not offer degrees or
certificates. Beta-Local arose out of a local need for support structures
for art production, critical thought and social engagement. We welcome
participants who are interested in developing work under these
circumstances, and contributing to transform these circumstances through
their work.*

*La Práctica*

The program is one (1) academic year in length (September 2011 - June 2012)
and represents a committment of at least 20 hours a week during which each
Fellow participates in a group seminar, attends visting artist lectures or
workshops and develops their work. The program costs are 6,000 USD per
participant; Beta-Local fundraises the cost of the program in order to make
it effectively free of charge. Travel and living expenses are covered by the
participant. There is a modest collective production fund to which
participants may apply during the program. These funds are granted on a case
by case basis. Production funds are not guaranteed. Our flexible work space
is available to all the participants to use in the development of their
projects. Besides focusing on their projects, every participant must offer
at least one class through La Ivan Illich [an open school]. *Visiting
artists during 2010/11 included:* Tania Bruguera, Javier Arbona, Carla
Zaccagnni, Ashley Hunt, Jea nine Oleson, Ethan Spigland and others.
Applicants should be able to converse in both English and Spanish to get the
most out of the program. *The one-year program is open to US citizens and
residents who currently reside in Puerto Rico or can relocate without
assitance; we do not provide lodging.

International artists may apply to the three-month program.* Beta-Local
offers lodging in San Juan, Puerto Rico (an apartment shared with other
participants) for the duration of the 3-month program. We cannot offer a
stipend, travel or living expenses to participants. We have no institutional
affliations through which to ensure a work or education visa, so
international applicants must jump into the fray in the shortened program.

For more information:

http://www.betalocal.org

http://lopublico.betalocal.org

Direct link to Call for Applications: