[Oberlist] [ARTPLOSHADKA] “Transcultural Identities” & “Pierre Gonnord: Portraits”, two photography exhibitions at the Welch School Galleries, Georgia State University

artploshadka portal despre artă si cultură artploshadka at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 20:28:55 CET 2011

*Transcultural Identities*, an exhibition featuring photographic work by 6
internationally recognized artists, will be on view from *February 17
through March 18 *at the Ernest G. Welch School of Art
& Design Galleries at Georgia State University.
Exhibiting artists are: Chuy Benitez, Sylvia de Swaan Tatiana Fiodorova,
Priya Kambli, Annu Palakunnathu Matthew, and Wendy Phillips.

Curated by Welch School Galleries Director Cynthia Farnell, *Transcultural
Identities*addresses the effects of human migration, displacement and global
commerce on the formation of collective and individual identities. The
artists use lens-based images to explore multifaceted
(and sometimes conflicting) identities within themselves and their
communities. Farnell says:

“In a large part we form our perception of self through identification
with our communities. Whether these relationships are familial, cultural,
geographical, political or economic, atsome point we have all had
the experience of reconciling our different selves with our diverse
communities. The more we can empathize with this process in the
lives of others, the more we will be able to create healthy and peaceful
communities in our globalized world*. Transcultural Identities *is an
exploration of
this process through the common groundof the photographic image.”

*T**r**anscu**lt**u**r**a**l Identities*
is supported in part by the Consulate General of Mexico to Atlanta and
the GSU Student Activities Fund.

(More)
http://artploshadka.wordpress.com/2011/02/11/artploshadkatranscultural-identities-%E2%80%9Cpierre-gonnord-portraits%E2%80%9D-two-photography-exhibitions-at-the-welch-school-galleries-georgia-state-university/

artploshadka at gmail.com

artploshadka.wordpress.com