[oberlist] [Fwd: call for artists]

ober at emdash.org ober at emdash.org
Sun Sep 9 23:07:54 CEST 2012

Subject: call for artists
From:    "Svitlana Matviyenko" <svitlana.matviyenko at gmail.com>
Date:    Sat, September 8, 2012 4:28 am
To:      ober at emdash.org

Dear Friends,

Would you be so kind to circulate this call for artists through your list?
We will really appreciate your help.

Many thanks,
Svitlana Matviyenko

*
*
The Imaginary App -­‐ CALL FOR ARTISTS

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. DJ Spooky and Svitlana Matviyenko, editors of The
Imaginary App, an anthology of art and scholarship on app-computing, invite
artists and designers to submit entries for a traveling art exhibition and
publication of selected works in our anthology. Our exhibition will feature
original icons of nonexistent apps.

Apps are placed at the tips of our fingers on mobile screens. They offer
themselves as channels that navigate us through uncanny media networks and
rhizomes. They are shortcuts that guarantee direct and immediate access to
what we need beyond the screen. We live in the hope that ubiquitous
computing will help us maintain our public and private lives –
relationships, work, and leisure – and apps promise to make computation
even more seamless and the media environment even more subliminal. If
anything, apps reveal how much we depend on this promise when we imagine
our being with each other as being with technology.

The goal of this project is to challenge the limits of technological
assistance endorsed by the slogan: “There’s an app for that.” What
are the
most desirable, terrifying, or ridiculous apps that haven’t been and,
possibly, will never be released? Formulate a concept of an app. Translate
it in the language of design. *

Send your work to theimaginaryapp at gmail.com by October 15, 2012. *

*Submit:*
1. app icon (4×4 inches, TIF, 300 dpi)
2. app concept (600 characters max.)
3. bio (100 words max.) + website, twitter (optional)

*The works will be selected on the basis of the following criteria: *
Concept: originality and critical potential
Design: clarity and aesthetics of presentation

--

Svitlana Matviyenko, PhD (Missouri)
PhD Candidate (Theory Centre, Western)

http://oberliht.com