[oberlist] MediaLab: Free Art School in Yerevan

Diana Chobanyan d_chobanyan at utopiana.ch
Thu Nov 28 18:50:32 CET 2013

Dear Art Community,

I am writing on behalf of [Utopiana.am](http://utopiana.am/) cultural-creative
NGO with a request to support the [crowdfunding campaign for MediaLab Art School](http://igg.me/at/medialab/). MediaLab
is the first free media-art school in Yerevan. It was established by
Utopiana.am NGO in 2008. Since then, many students (artists) have learnt the
theory and practice of contemporary art, developed their individual artistic
skills, and embraced a critical perspective on technology.

MediaLab
has survived in these difficult economic times through the personal
investment of the MediaLab team and teachers. Unfortunately, the continuation of the
project is at risk, because we no longer have a place to hold the lessons.
Thus, we have launched a crowdfunding campaign to support the new education
year of MediaLab. You can support the campaign at [http://igg.me/at/medialab/](http://igg.me/at/medialab/).

Unlike other art schools in Yerevan, MediaLab emphasizes student-centered
instruction and views the learning process as a facilitated journey of self-development.
It is therefore a unique venture that brings together some of the brightest
young teachers and the most creative youth. MediaLab supports its students with
a rich library, video and photo equipment, darkroom materials, software
programs, and more!

Apart
from MediaLab Utopiana.am implements other projects that aim at empowering and
celebrating Armenian artists both locally and globally. Since 2005, Utopiana.am
is organized as a polymorphous production workshop and a platform for
interdisciplinary reflections. It also realizes different research and artistic
projects, encounters, residencies, conferences and publications. What is more,
it promotes questioning of social, political, and technological transformations
and their manifestation through culture.

We
hope to raise 3,600 USD and have so far reached 2/3 of the goal. However, there
are 14 more days to go and we rely on supporters like YOU to rally behind the
campaign and help us achieve the goal. You can help by sharing the campaign link through your social media
networks. You can bring the information up in conversation and of course, you
can always donate.

Thanks
for your thoughtfulness and generosity.

Best