[oberlist] Balmoral: Announcement of the fellowships for 2018 - the countdown is on!

Brunhilde Müller mueller at balmoral.de
Fri Jun 23 15:47:42 CEST 2017

KUENSTLERHAUS SCHLOSS BALMORAL
Stiftung Rheinland-Pfalz fuer Kultur

BALMORAL ANNOUNCES

The countdown is on!
The closing date for applications is next week!

Announcement of the Balmoral and state fellowships for 2018

We are pleased to inform you that for 2018 the following fellowships are offered:

For international visual artists

·      Two 3-month Balmoral residential fellowships <http://www.kuenstlerhaus-balmoral.de/kuenstlerhaus-schloss-balmoral-english-pages/fellowships/residence.html>
·      Four 9-month Balmoral residential fellowships <http://www.kuenstlerhaus-balmoral.de/kuenstlerhaus-schloss-balmoral-english-pages/fellowships/residence.html>

The topic for the Balmoral residential fellowships is ‘Shaping the future. How do we want to live, love and work?’

Our world faces complex challenges of a social, ecological, political and economic nature. While the present we live in is a time of global crises, the latest developments in science and technology open up a view of the future that is optimistic and full of great promise, and these are at the heart of lively discussions over a wide social spectrum. Many exhibitions, interdisciplinary symposia and publications are currently dedicated to exploring how we want to live in the future.

What is the role of the visionary potential of art in this context? The creative, critical, emancipated and playful view that artists bring to bear enables us to look at life and society in new ways. They reflect our present and create a design for the future from an aesthetic perspective. Does this mean that artists offer a relevant contribution to the topics of our age? Are they the trailblazers who are shaping our future? The Künstlerhaus Schloss Balmoral is taking up this ongoing debate and asking artists for their visions and drafts of the way we are to co-exist in the future. This means that the focus of the artistic work of applicants for the 2018 residential fellowships must relate to the theme of ‘Shaping the future. How do we want to live, love and work?’.

What are the themes that will affect individuals and society in the future? What opportunities will be opened up? What criticism will there be? What do we need more of? What is lacking? What is superfluous? What can we dream of? What can we look forward to? What is (im-)possible?
What we are looking for with this year’s theme is a multi-media, cross-genre interaction linking fine arts with neighbouring disciplines such as architecture and design as well as various scientific fields.
Visual interaction will be at the forefront for the residential fellowships. We are looking for images, objects and other visual translations that imagine the future and deal with the
(re-)shaping of the world of tomorrow.

Since 2013, fellowships are offered in one artistic genre or one theme each year. This offering, which is unique in Germany, is intended to enable deeper mutual creative cross-fertilisation among the resident artists.

For international fellows in the humanities

·      One 9-month Balmoral residential fellowship for a curator <http://www.kuenstlerhaus-balmoral.de/stipendien/anwesenheit-kurator.html>

The residential fellowships are endowed with 1,400 Euro a month.

For visual artists with relation to Rhineland-Palatinate

·      Two 6-month project fellowships <http://www.kuenstlerhaus-balmoral.de/stipendien/projekt.html>
·      One 6-month fellowship for New York (Residency Unlimited) <http://www.kuenstlerhaus-balmoral.de/stipendien/new-york.html>
·      Two 6-month fellowships for the Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris <http://www.kuenstlerhaus-balmoral.de/stipendien/paris.html>
·      One 3-month fellowship for South Korea (MMCA Residency Goyang) <http://www.kuenstlerhaus-balmoral.de/stipendien/suedkorea.html>
·      One 5-month fellowship for Kuenstlerhaus Schloss Wiepersdorf, Brandenburg/Germany <http://www.kuenstlerhaus-balmoral.de/stipendien/wiepersdorf.html>
For these fellowships there are no artistic requirements.

Attention: Since 2015, artists with relation to Rhineland-Palatinate can apply three times for each state fellowship, meaning three times for a project fellowship, three times for a fellowship in Paris etc. (past applications included), but only every two years.

The application period for all fellowships runs up to and including June 30, 2017 (date of postmark).Detailed information and application forms are available on our homepage <http://www.kuenstlerhaus-balmoral.de/kuenstlerhaus-schloss-balmoral-english-pages/fellowships>.

We are grateful if artists worldwide receive this call for applications through publication and forwarding!

With kind regards

Your team of the Kuenstlerhaus Schloss Balmoral

Kuenstlerhaus Schloss Balmoral
Stiftung Rheinland-Pfalz fuer Kultur
Villenpromenade 11
56130 Bad Ems

Tel.: +49 (0)2603 9419-0
Fax: +49 (0)2603 9419-16
E-Mail: info at balmoral.de <mailto:info at balmoral.de>

We are pleased to inform you about the activities of the Kuenstlerhaus Schloss Balmoral. Contact us, if you would like to be removed from our mailing-list.