[Oberlist] Radio Orchestra Workshop. Deadline extended

info la aa-vv.org info la aa-vv.org
Vin Noi 2 10:03:00 CET 2007

Radio Orchestra Workshop at a=v#2 Festival. Munich

Conductors: Sarah Washington, Knut Aufermann
Date: November 20. to 24.11.07 (18.00: 21.00)
Location: Kunstarkaden, Sparkassenstr. 3
New registration deadline: November 10. 2007
Support: Department of Arts and Culture of Munich
Moderation: Natalia Borissova

Goal:
A musical performance of the workshop participants using modified radios
as instruments in a live public Jam-session 24.11.07 from 20.00 - 22.00

a). Radio Hacking (Sarah Washington)
The radio has a history as a musical instrument spanning the decades since
John Cage discovered its unpredictable noises as a source for chance
operations. In this workshop we will look at the insides of portable
transistor radios and find out if we can further develop the possibilities
of the radio as a musical instrument. Instead of thinking of it as a
passive machine for receiving radio programmes we will use very simple
techniques to change the electronic circuits of the radio into a
fascinating noise making instrument. Everybody will be able to use their
own individually modified radio as a musical instrument in the second part
of the workshop.
b). Radio Orchestra (Knut Aufermann)
A workshop for conducted improvisation. The goal of the workshop is the
formation of an orchestra of electronic musicians and to perform live on
the last day of the workshop /24th November/. We will explore many
possibilities of using the modified radios as a collective sound
instrument for improvised music making. The workshop will introduce
different techniques of conducting the group with all the participants
being encouraged to bring in ideas for pieces and to experience conducting
the group. There will also be access to several mini radio transmitters
which allow for the synchronization of the radios.

Participants profile:
The participants should be keen to dismantle radios and take part in a
collective musical performance. No prior musical or electronics knowledge
is needed. Everyone can turn up to the workshop, not just technical whizz
kids or programmers. This way we bring everyone together - the
technological \'haves\' and \'have-nots\', so to speak. The participants
should be able to take part in all workshop sessions /20th to 24th
November/

Requirements:
Each participant should bring a working, battery powered, portable
transistor radio (older models are preferable, tuning dial is essential)
that can be taken apart and modified. We will provide the tools and
components for the modification plus a limited number of radios to replace
unusable or broken ones. They could also be pre-1980s radios. They just
should not be too modern, as the circuitry is more restrictive and
therefore boring... Any junk shop or flea market usually has plenty of
these. You could find one in an attic or garage of a relative. Having more
of them is the key, as some work better than others. plenty of batteries
are needed to power them - they MUST be battery operable to prevent
bending mishaps!

Further info & registration:
http://aa-vv.org/?av_02010101

Language:
The workshop language is english.

Accommodation:
We can suggest an accommodation for about 18-32 euro

Fees:
The cost of the workshop is 35 euro. For students, female artists and
those who are taking part in the second workshop - 30 euro. + 15 Euro -
the cost of materials .

About facilitators:
Sarah Washington is an instrument-builder, improvising musician and radio
artist who works all over Europe on varied projects. She helped to set up
the radio station Resonance104.4fm in London and has been commissioned to
make a series of radio works for the Tate Modern.
http://mobile-radio.net
Knut Aufermann is a musician and radio artist working across Europe. He is
a member of the London Improvisers Orchestra and co-founder of the
European radio art network Radia. Together with Sarah Washington he
performs in the radio feedback and circuit bending duo Tonic Train.
http://knut.klingt.org

Please, forward to whom it may concern

Mai multe informații despre lista de discuții oberlist