[Oberlist] DE* call/perf-the-danc/fest: "wonders of the prairie"

oberlist mailing list ober la emdash.org
Joi Feb 19 02:33:49 CET 2009

Subject: [Info_Culture] call for apllications: festival "wonders of the
prairie"
From:    "Neacsu, Marina" <Marina.Neacsu la bukarest.goethe.org>
Date:    Wed, February 18, 2009 12:56
To:      info_culture la yahoogroups.com

zeitraumexit e.v. mannheim

zeitraumexit e.v. hafenstraße 68 -72, 68159 mannheim

telefon: 0621/3709830; fax: 0621/3709832; office la zeitraumexit.de,
www.wunderderpraerie.de

Call for Submissions

For Performance-Art, Theatre, Dance, Art

Since nine years zeitraumexit has organised an international festival with
changing themes. Since 2004

the festival is named "Wonders of the Prairie".

"Wonders of the Prairie" stands for experimental art projects (fine and
performing arts). It occurs in art

spaces as well as in urban spaces and is a well-established part of urban
life of the city of Mannheim.

Amongst others, the following artists and groups participated: Anna Huber,
Stefan Kaegi, Alastair Mc

Lennan, Boris Nieslony, Lindy Annis, Gob Squad, Jaap Blonk, Théatre du
Radeau, Stan's Café,

FarADayCage, Volker Gerling, Mike Pearson, LaS Company, Antonia Baehr,
Bill Aitchison, Hong O Bong,

She She Pop, Jeffery Bird, Nicola Unger.

THEME 2009

Of Waste and Men

Our society produces that much that many things cannot be utilised. Waste
is inherent in every product. At

least in highly industrialised societies many products are put away before
they are worn out. Used things

are thrown away; they are regarded as waste - something bad that, if it
cannot be prevented, should be

transported to places where we are not forced to see and to smell it. Our
electronic scrap, for example,

goes to the places where the world's poor live. There it is further taken
apart and recycled. People

handling this scrap are contaminated by it.

We live in an affluent society, a society of excess production: we are
overwhelmed by a surge of images,

sounds, floods of information and data, mountains of refuse. We cover the
earth with more used things

than ever before; their disposal has become a lucrative industry. Never
before have people earned that

much money by disposing refuse, by protecting us from toxic pollution - of
course only in "rich" countries.

On the other hand, mankind has lived on credit since the mid of the 1980s
from the ecological point of

view. We spend more resources than earth can regenerate (SZ, Oct. 18, 2008).

Waste exists and belongs to life as decay belongs to the natural cycle of
life and death and the sequence

of the seasons. Everyone knows that; nevertheless we do not want to
acknowledge this fact, to see waste,

to smell or to touch it. In this way we produce our beautiful world of
coloured plastics that does not have

taste, does not smell, but that, unfortunately, must be disposed. This is
methodical paranoia.

Everything we consider not worth being in this world is called "waste".

Therefore our theme also addresses gray zones: infanticide, namely the
killing of female infants, disabled

babies, the practice of isolating the disabled, the crazy, or the elder,
the ghettoisation of the poor.

In the United States the poor white class is called "white trash".

zeitraumexit e.v. mannheim

zeitraumexit e.v. hafenstraße 68 -72, 68159 mannheim

telefon: 0621/3709830; fax: 0621/3709832; office la zeitraumexit.de,
www.wunderderpraerie.de

It is interesting to observe that debasement has been turned into a new
quality. HipHop and Rap, artists

like Eminem turn negative attributions into self-confidence; their pride
in being "underdogs" has made

them successful.

Call

Which answers can art give to the casting away & elimination of what is
regarded as "useless"? To the

trend that only the wealthy and healthy lifes of beautiful people are
considered "worth living"?

Which self-assured statements of the other, the useless, of resistance are
possible?

Appreciating art also means to appreciate what is considered useless,
dispensable, futile, foolish; it means

to appreciate social autonomy.

Often things thrown away and worn-out have given an important impulse to
creative and artistic

processes.

Art discovered waste, the fascination of things cast away. Art noticed the
value of objects marked by use

which tell stories and whose observation adds new meanings. Moreover, the
old question of mankind

"what will remain" is of manifold importance in all ephemeral arts. We
would also like to address this

aspect by the theme chosen by us.

>From this angle we could regard the huge amount of paintings, stage
productions, stage designs

produced by artists as "waste".

zeitraumexit is looking for artists artists from the fields performance
art, dance and theatre who have

worked on the subject. We are especially interested in contributions from
the intersection of these genres.

We are looking for self-assured statements of "the other", the positive
appropriation of waste, trash, junk in

new contexts as well as the critical discussion of art production.

We do especially welcome contributins which approach the theme from the
angle of non-western

societies, countries, and continents.

zeitraumexit e.v. mannheim

zeitraumexit e.v. hafenstraße 68 -72, 68159 mannheim

telefon: 0621/3709830; fax: 0621/3709832; office la zeitraumexit.de,
www.wunderderpraerie.de

The Venues

The festival-centre: The stage room ("Kubus"): a room of about 11 x 11
square metres where the

audience can be placed variably; black wooden floor/dance floor black or
white;

white walls or black panelling; hight of rigging: 3.80 ms.

Action room ("Kantine"): a room of about 16 metres length, 7 metres width, 4

metres high. The seating can be integrated freely. Tile floor, one window
front.

It is possible to equip the room with simple equipment for illumination
and sound.

There are several other rooms which can be used if needed.

Presence in the city: The festival is part of the urban life of Mannheim.
Interventions into urban spaces

are an important part of the festival.

Other venues: Co-operation partner "Alte Feuerwache".

Festival duration: September 2 through September 12, 2009

Application deadline: February 27, 2009 (date of the postmark)

Address: zeitraumexit, Hafenstrasse 68, 68159 Mannheim

Curators: Elke Schmid, Tilo Schwarz, Gabriele Oßwald, Wolfgang Sautermeister

We do not accept any responsibility for the application documents.

Applications will not be sent back and saved by us!

Please indicate explicitly when you wish us to send back your documents.
Make sure that an

answer envelope with adequate postage is included! For applications from
other countries than

Germany: please include the equivalent of the adequate postage in Euro!

zeitraumexit e.v. mannheim

zeitraumexit e.v. hafenstraße 68 -72, 68159 mannheim

telefon: 0621/3709830; fax: 0621/3709832; office la zeitraumexit.de,
www.wunderderpraerie.de

Applications should consist of:

1. Name/Contact (address, phone number, Email-address)

2. Description of the project/production

3. A list of all participants

4. Venues & dates when the project/production was shown before (not in
case of new productions)

5. Venues & dates (before March 1, 2009) which can be visited by the curators

6. CV(s)

7. Press material about the production/artist(s) (on CD/DVD)

8. Video recording of the project and/or short version of the project
(DVD); in case of new productions:

meaningful material about previous projects

9. Production/press photos (on CD, DVD or by Email; 300 dpi, 10 x 13 cm,
format: jpg, tiff, or similar

formats)

zeitraumexit e.v. mannheim

zeitraumexit e.v. hafenstraße 68 -72, 68159 mannheim

telefon: 0621/3709830; fax: 0621/3709832; office la zeitraumexit.de,
www.wunderderpraerie.de

10. Technical Requirements

(the proposed project has to fit the technical and spatial conditions of
zeitraumexit)

Stage plan

Illumination plan

Equipment

Number of actors

Duration (with & without break)

Assistants, technicians

required (from zeitraumexit)

Material/technology required

(from zeitraumexit)

Time needed for:

- building up

- taking down

- technical equipment

- rehearsals

Fees (liable to VAT?)

Costs of travel/transport

Use of music liable to GEMAfees

Licence fees / copyrights

Un ata?ament HTML a fost eliminat

Mai multe informații despre lista de discuții oberlist