[Oberlist] US* call/txt|vis|perf|inst: White before We Got Here

Fri Apr 24 21:41:22 CEST 2009

Subject: CULTSTUD-L Digest, Vol 63, Issue 20
From:    cultstud-l-request la lists.comm.umn.edu
Date:    Wed, April 22, 2009 17:40
To:      cultstud-l la lists.comm.umn.edu

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:52:45 -0500
From: Lisa Arrastia <arras004 la umn.edu>
Subject: [cultstud-l] Call for Submissions - White before We Got Here

TITLE: _White before We Got Here: Youth and the Hidden Curriculum of
Whiteness_

EDITORS: Lisa Arrastia and Bill Ayers

DEADLINE: MONDAY 29 JUNE 2009

DESCRIPTION & SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Go to
<http://web.me.com/larrastia/whitebeforewegothere/call.html

SUBMIT WORK BY EMAIL ATTACHMENT TO: Lisa Arrastia <arras004 la umn.edu>

We’re searching for essays, poetry, lyrics, and visual/performance/
installation art by young women and men no older than 25 at the time
of writing.

Submissions to our edited book may be creative non-fiction, personal
essays; poetry; and all types of artwork. The only rule is that the
work has to be yours and has to be original. By “original” we mean
that the work you submit to us must be unpublished and not under
consideration by another publication or media source.

Work submitted should demonstrate an attempt to examine how you see
and experience whiteness in your life, and/or culture, community,
city, town, nation. Some ideas you might consider in generating your
piece:

• Discuss or show a time when whiteness kept you silent or made you
holla back at the world!?
• Show or tell us how whiteness has marked you in some way.
• Identify a time when you remember being taught (in spoken or
unspoken ways) cultural values and social norms that you would
consider a part of whiteness. Allow us to see what happened and why
you think you were being taught these norms and values? Who and what
continue to teach you the practices of whiteness?
• Describe a time when you witnessed someone close to you benefiting
from whiteness and what those benefits looked like and felt like in
your life? What did they mean in the larger context of your life?
• What is the cost of whiteness to you? What are its limitations?
• What do you love about the cultural values and social norms of
whiteness and what is difficult about those values and norms for you?
• Describe a time when you complied with the norms and values of
whiteness, how you felt about doing so, and why you conformed?
• What does whiteness sound like to you; what does it feel like, look
like, or smell like?
• If you could change whiteness, how would you alter it and why?
• If whiteness could talk, what would it say?
• In 100 years, what will whiteness be if anything?

*SUBMIT WORK TO LISA ARRASTIA at <arras004 la umn.edu>.*

If you need help thinking about what to write, create, and/or you want
to discuss and get help refining your ideas before you make a formal
submission, *email Lisa* at <arras004 la umn.edu>.

We’ll notify you of our decision as soon as we can. Note that all
submissions not accepted for the book will be included on a web site,
which will accompany the publication of the book.

We look forward to seeing your work!

Bill Ayers, University of Illinois at Chicago

Lisa Arrastía, University of Minnesota (arras004 la umn.edu)

End of CULTSTUD-L Digest, Vol 63, Issue 20