[Oberlist] UK* call/wshp: Groundwork South West is looking to engage contemporary artists/arts groups

Thu Jun 18 23:02:07 CEST 2009

Subject: [curatorial.net] call for submissions
From:    "ray white" <raywhite78 la hotmail.com>
Date:    Thu, June 18, 2009 17:03
To:      curatorial la curatorial.net

Apologies for cross-posting

Groundwork South West is looking to engage contemporary artists/arts
groups to work with our flagship youth project, The House, based in St
Austell, Cornwall. The House is a pioneering, aspirational initiative to
transform youth provision in St Austell. As well as generic youth club
activities, The House provides opportunities to organise and take part in
creative arts, drama, music, singing, martial arts and sports and operates
as a social meeting space, with internet access and a youth café.

To further develop our programme of contemporary art commissioning, we are
keen to work with a wide range of practices including; performance/live
art, sound art, video/film, installation, media, sculpture, and everything
in-between and beyond.   We are looking for artists who reflect our own
organisation’s ethos and ideals and who therefore have a critical
engagement with some or all of the following; public space (both urban and
rural), environmental regeneration and sustainability,
individual/community empowerment and participation.

We are therefore calling for expressions of interest for artist(s) to work
on a series of workshops/residencies. We will work in collaboration with
the chosen artist’s practice and plan the programme of work accordingly.
It is essential that submitting artists have experience in delivering work
with community groups, and preferably young people in particular (between
the ages of 13 and 19).

There is a fee of £200 per day. The length of workshop engagement will be
decided upon in collaboration with the artist. Travel and, where
applicable, accommodation funds will be available, again in agreement with
the artist.  Work patterns will be negotiable, to accommodate as far as
possible both the proposed work and the operational needs of The House.

Submission details:
Please submit a hardcopy of your CV, artist’s statement and visual
material in the form of CDRom, DVD, website URL etc. The artist’s
statement should include details of previous relevant work, the approach
you would like to take and how you feel this would benefit your practice.
Please attempt to limit this material to no more than 4 sides of A4 in
total. Final selection will be between the staff and the young people of
the House. Enclose an SAE for return of materials if applicable.
Deadline for submissions: 10/07/09

The aspiration is that the selection process can take place quickly to
allow a series of workshops to take place over the summer months – hence
the admittedly short deadline.

For any queries, email me at ray.white la groundwork.org.uk
For more information on Groundwork’s activities, visit
www.groundwork-sw.org.uk/art

Please send submissions to:
Ray White
Strategic Arts Coordinator