[Oberlist] Call for entries / 4 International festival of audio-visual arts VIDEOLOGIA 2007

Видеология volgafest la yandex.ru
Sâm Aug 4 00:56:38 CEST 2007

[ZOOMING HISTORIES]

International festival of audio-visual arts VIDEOLOGIA is one the major art events in the sphere of independent short cinema and video in Russia. It integrates selection program of the best entries with curatorial screenings, master classes of jury members, exhibitions, art theory forums and musical performances. VIDEOLOGIA takes place every year in Volgograd (Russia), the forth festival will start on November 8, 2007.

Films of different kinds are welcome to participate: from video art and experimental cinema to documentaries and animation. The only equivalent that unites works of different genres, styles and techniques, from different continents and generations is the annually changing concept of the festival. Curators of VIDEOLOGIA 2006 are now happy to call for submissions to its 2007 selection program!

Conceptual pattern of VIDEOLOGIA 2007 is [ZOOMING HISTORIES] .
We detail imagery and distance ourselves from it, we alternate close ups with long panoramic shots, we by turns concentrate on one sound and on their multitude. Doing so we zoom the visual and the audible course of events, grasp different scopes of the narratives that record them in figurative forms or, on the contrary, we refuse fixating on any representative figures. VIDEOLOGIA 2007 is interested in the shuttle type of senses movement between personal stories of authors and episodes of multidirectional social history.

How does a person orient oneself moving in personal scenes and global historical events simultaneously? On what basis do we utopically equate individual life episodes to planetary tendencies in the development of culture? Why, rejecting figurative narrations, abstract art is capable of seizing key features of certain historical epochs? By means of what are we able to construct borders between private and public myths? How does a person become involved in one certain type of scenarios and gets distanced from a different type of stories, and to what degree do we possess freedom to perform such a choice? Which variants of future processes are being rehearsed during inconspicuous contemporary incidents and occurrences? All these questions can be accentuated by audio-visual art with a special power, because its kinetics and dynamics allow it to zoom its approach to any situation.

Topics that underline the concept of VIDEOLOGIA 2007 extend from geopolitical to media-ontological:

•	Intersection of an artist’s or a director’s work with such historical events as war, revolution, construction and removal of borders, merging of cultures and nations, collapse and restoration of empires;
•	Zooming territories, change of scales by means of traveling: critical overview of personal expectations and prejudices during visits to a place, which used to be a screen for projection or an origin of individual myths;
•	Criteria for framing the reality in a certain way while shaping a personal story: reasons for selection and omitting components of a picture;
•	Production of integrative personal art myths and utopian models of existence, broadening the limits of a moving picture;
•	Analysis of ideological and aesthetical media of recording of historical events (from memorials and exhibitions to cinema and literature)
•	Zooming the distance between authors and audience by means of transferring not the communicative signal of a work but its techniques, forms, materials and effects.

Regulations of the IV International Festival of Audio-visual arts
VIDOLOGIA 2006

1. Participation in the festival is free of charge.

2. DVD and Mini DV formats are acceptable for selection program.

3. Only works produced not earlier than January 1st 2005 are applicable.

4. Duration of works should not exceed 30 minutes (exceptions may apply).

5. The panel of coordinators of the festival will assemble the selection program that will be evaluated by jury and audience of VIDEOLOGIA 2007.

6. The entry form should accompany the work sent to the festival (emails with attached files with entry forms are acceptable).

7. Deadline for submissions is October 20th, 2007 (postmark).

8. All deliveries from international participants should be marked: "no commercial value - for cultural purposes only".

9. All entrants will be notified by November 1st, 2006.

10. The entry implies full acceptance of the regulations.

Entry forms can be found in the attached files.

For any information please mail us  volgafest la yandex.ru
or visit the official web site  www.videology.ru/forum

Send your works only to:

Yaroslav V. Khokhlov
Do vostrebovaniya